SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xentar_gw

Newest members of the new, small farm and other farm updates

xentar_gw
7 years ago

Since I started this small farm just a mere few months ago, I've acquired several animals, from ducks to turkey poults to cows, goats, chickens, and rabbits. I've had many chances to breed the rabbits since then but have put it off, until proper facilities were made to handle the mamas and their babies. I did, acquire a new male rabbit, a New Zealand X Flemish Giant cross, which is pretty huge. Maybe I can get a good pic of that later. We did allow the muscovy ducks to breed. In the above pic, we have our first batch of animals born on this new farm, 11 ducklings.

I will keep one male and possibly all of the females, for egg production and breeding stock, because I don't know the age of my breeders. The rest of the males will probably be sold, when they are old enough to tell apart.

These are the chickens. I believe they turned out to be: 5x isa brown hens, 1 red rooster, which is possibly a cross, and 6 Ameraucana or crosses, which I believe are two roosters and four hens. Interestingly, Isa Brown chickens are supposedly capable of laying up to 350 eggs per year.

Here are the first shipment of turkey poults, pic taken on the 25th. So, they are appx 25 days old in this pic. I have eighteen of them, all heritage breeds, and expect at least another 15 to come at the end of August, which will include more heritage breeds, as well as wild turkeys.

So,the breeds I have (and/or are getting soon) are Narragansett, Royal Palm, White Holland, Blue Slate, Bronze Standard, Chocolate, Bourbon Red, Rio Grande Wild, and Black Spanish.Out of all of these, three of them are threatened, according to the livestock conservancy: Royal Palm, White Holland, and Black Spanish. None of the threatened or critically endangered turkeys are listed as recovering, but since they are domestic, man-made (or man-bred) species, they don't really have protections. It basically means that, in order to have heritage breed status, they have to be obsoleted by new breeds. In the case of turkeys, the broad-breasted turkeys have a much better feed intake to weight gain ratio and cost much less to raise.

By the time we raise the poults and sell the excess males, we'll probably have around 20 total turkeys, for our breeding stock.

Here are the turkeys when they were about three days old. Since I couldn't find any feed stores selling a game bird starter or turkey starter, I had to make my own, which is 28% protein. They'll eat this until they're twelve weeks old.

Comments (5)