SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
almcclur

Realistic Income Expectations from small farm

Hi everyone. We are a military family transferring to N. California this summer and would really like to try running a small family farm there on 5-10 acres. It's something we've wanted to do for a while, but the moving every 3 years makes it less than ideal. Also, the land and houses there are pricey (for us anyway) so it would really help if we could supplement with farm income.

I know this can vary drastically, but can anyone provide some estimates on how much daily effort it would take to bring in an extra $10,000/year above expenses in an area with plentiful farmers' markets and a great organic following? We would like pasture fed chickens, a vegetable garden, and possibly a few pigs eventually.

I also have 3 young children, and my husband works, so really it will be mostly a 1 person operation. I think I could work up to 4 hours a day on it. I would just love to get your ideas and thoughts. If you are making decent money from a small farm and would be willing to share your bio I would love to read of others who are successful.

Thanks so much,

Amanda

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!