SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

OT: Cool Treat for Hot Dogs

monicakm_gw
7 years ago

I had a long message that included an update on my dog that fell out of heaven during a stormy night when it was raining cats and dogs. Was all finished, adding photos when I hit a key on my keyboard and the whole thing went POOF! I could cry :(

I'll skip the update and just concentrate on keeping outdoor dogs cool. These are some things I do to keep our outside dogs cool in the summer heat. We only have one dog now and he's new to us as of mid April.

One thing I did this week was to buy a FURminator. OMWord! Where has that been all my life!? Howie is an Aussie Cattle/Dingo dog with a crazy thick undercoat. The patio was swimming in dog hair ALL the time no matter how much I brushed him. I was just getting the top layer and not touching that thick undercoat. The FURminator works on the undercoat. Be prepared to be amazed :o I have gotten enough hair off him to make 3 more Howies! <lol> He's GOT to be cooler without all that hair! I make sure he has access to shade at ALL times...patio and shady cool green grass too. Fresh water/crushed ice and a fan next to his bed. I also spray my dogs with the waterhose a couple times a day. A doggie cot like this one keeps them off the ground and allows air to circulate.

Coolaroo Dog Cot

I've made these frozen treats for years. I let Howie lick the bowl and he gave it a 5 paw rating :) They're in the freezer right now.

I kick it up a notch with 3 bananas, probably a 1/4 of pb or more. Same with the honey. I use a stick blender.

Here's what it looks like...

And here's a recent picture of Howie/Howard

Comments (40)