SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fromjuniperstodahlias

Leaves yellowing and dropping quickly on cherry tree

Natalie
7 years ago

We planted Minnie Royal and Royal Lee cherry trees about two years ago. They both have grown very aggressively since planting. No fruit yet but the tree is definitely established. Last June, after fertilizing with an organic product, the leaves began quickly yellowing and dropping from the tree. It started from the bottom of the tree so that only the tops of the tree branches were left with a few leaves. It rebounded a little but the branches were pretty much exposed the full summer. After losing all of its leaves over the winter and being pruned, it leafed out again this spring beautifully -- in fact it was the first tree that did so. I wasn't sure if the fertilizer caused it last year so I haven't fertilized the tree since February, plus it has grown quite large this year so I'm not sure it needs any anyway. Then earlier this week, one of the leaves yellowed and fell to the ground, despite the rest of the tree looking quite healthy. A couple of days later, a large part of the tree's leaves have once again yellowed and fallen to the ground.

We have a lot of clay in our soil so I don't water too often this time of year (depending how hot it has been, once or twice a month with a garden hose on low to trickle into the soil for 40 minutes or so). The tree is placed next to a lawn -- not in one -- but the sprinklers are directed away from the tree. We're in southern California so water restrictions only allow limited watering of the lawn so I don't think it's getting too much water from that. We have the other cherry tree flanking the other side of the lawn, 12 or so feet away, and it has shown no signs of distress.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this and would appreciate any advice. Here are some pictures of both what the leaves look like and the overall state of the tree. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals