SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilylchen

Can you replace Anderson ext door with non-And, w/o changing frame?

lilylchen
7 years ago

I have Anderson 400 Series Frenchwood patio doors that I want to replace (possibly with Simpson Water Barrier 7002WB).

I talked to a guy from a door/lumber store (who gave me the product suggestion) on the phone, and he said that you couldn't just remove the Anderson doors and put the replacement doors in - but not for the reason I would have thought.

I would have thought you could technically, but probably wouldn't want to because you'd be too much prone to weather sealing errors. However, he said you couldn't because something about the mechanisms that Anderson uses for attaching and bolting the doors.

The way I look at it, at the end of the day, it's just a wood frame on 3 (or 4 sides) with established holes. So if you chose to reuse those same holes to attach the replacement door to the hinges and the bolts at the top and bottom (ok, maybe you'd have to relocate the strike plates in the top and bottom a half inch or so or just replace the sill), why (other than possibly weather sealing) wouldn't you be good to go?

I guess I want to know how right/wrong he is because it either makes me trust his judgement on the door more or less (even though I'd probably look for pre-hung doors anyway).

Comment (1)