SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

I want brown hair! Is this too much to ask? a rant

bossyvossy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm looking like a skunk, with a white streak in the middle of my dark brown hair, so I decide its time to get it colored. I pick a hair sample and show the stylist the medium brown color I would like. She does her thing. Hair is shiny, soft bouncy, nice but the minute I get home DH says, wow, that is some black hair! Upon closer inspection I agree that it is almost jet black. So, next time I go for styling, I mention this to the lady and she gets defensive on me. She starts on a litany of educational courses she's attended to validate her knowledge, she says the chlorine in my water may affect outcome (I tell her I have none), she says it will be desired shade after a few washes. She even insinuated that since I'm not a colorist, it is hard for me to understand. What???? I know what I want. Why can't she make it happen?

Is it that difficult to get the color I want? Natural dark brown hair to medium brown, and gray hair coverage. I went googling, trying to educate myself so that I could have a calmed, educated discussion with the stylist. I suspected it wasn't going to go well. All I could find is that when you buy CVS stuff and DIY, there is a high incidence of "darker color" syndrome. I promise you, I am not paying CVS prices, is it too much to expect the exact shade I want?

This is only my 2nd colorist. The first one was sloppy, left my face stained with dye. This 2nd one tries harder but here I am, ranting. Your comments and experience with color, please.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH