SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wunderlong88

Blueberry advice for Texas (west of Ft Worth)

I want to try growing blueberries. I live 1 hr. west of Ft. Worth (76449). I am trying to decide between purchasing 2 rabbit eye blueberries (Tifblue and Powderblue) or 2 southern highbush varieties (O'Neal and Misty).

I am building a raised bed but I have limited space. From all that I read the rabbit eyes are best for my area but from what I can tell are very large. Can they be made to go over an arbor? It appears these varieties (from what I've read) are the most reliable, least likely to have frost get the blooms and are heat tolerant. Again, not sure if I can make the size work.

As for the the southern highbbush they appear to be more around the size I have room for. Will I have trouble with early frost getting them? What about their heat tolerance?

Looking for people in my area who have planted any of these varieites (or others) and your experience with them. Which ones are the most likely to be productive and successful? What kind of space requirements do they need. I really need something that will go in about 5.5' x 3' for each plant. I do have the option of an arbor or a trellis but I didn't think these would grow on arbors.

Also, I will be making the soil from scratch (my native soil is heavy clay, 6.0-6.5 ph). I have native sand that is 6.0 that I can add. I planned on purchasing peat moss. What should I mix with the peat moss? I have huge amounts of native mulch (from local cedar, mesquite and oak trees, not composted yet). I also have lots of llama manure and have access to some pine needles. I know blueberries need acidic soil of 4.0-5.5 from what I've read. I can mix up whatever...please advise.

Comments (12)