SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
water0125

Fruit Trees for Fort Worth, Texas 7B

water0125
14 years ago

We are moving to a new house, which is going to have some sun!! I am excited to plant some fruit trees, since our old house is very shaded. I need some suggestions.

A little about our new yard. Seems to have pretty good drainage. There is an area of the house that will be a little more wet, but its also the shady part of the yard. We do have a couple of large trees, but a couple of large areas of pretty close to full sun. This is a neighborhood lot, so we don't tons of room. We just finished building the house, so, besides the current trees, we can design our landscape however we like.

A little about us as gardeners. I have two small children, so time is limited. We are not the most vigilant about pruning, spraying, etc. I would prefer trees that are very low-maintenance. I'm also thinking that I would prefer dwarf varieties (just read about Dave Wilson's website and wondering if it matters if I choose a dwarf, if I prune it. but that also goes back to the low-maintenance issue!).

Here are the ideas that I have so far:

*Figs: I have already started some cuttings from a neighbors plant that gets no extra water or care and has great fruit.

* Persimmon: Would prefer an astringent variety. Can't decide between american and asian. I saw that there were some dwarf varieties.

* Blackberries: Currently, have Navaho and Arapaho at old home. Thinking of getting some Navaho for new house. Any other fav varieties?

* Mulberry: I saw the weeping female dwarf mulberry. Looks interesting -- anyone have experience with how it fruits. Also, looking at the Geraldi dwarf.

* Blueberries: Thinking about putting these in pots at the corner of the driveway turnaround.

* Elderberries: Have no experience with these, but they sound interesting. How much pruning is involved. They look like they have beautiful foliage also.

* Pomegranates: Currently have a wonderful at old home that has not fruited after 3 years. Looking at a sweet variety. I think that our pom has been evergreen, but had some work done in yard and they guy cut the pom down a bit. Can't remember now if it was evergreen. If anyone has one locally, has yours been evergreen?

* Jujube/pawpaw: Don't know much about them, but they sound low maintenance. One has thorns, right? Might not be interested in anything with thorns.

* Pears/peaches/plums: Love these traditional fruits. But want something low maintenance. Ideas on good cultivars?

Whew! What a list! Thank you so much for input!

Warmly,

--Natalie.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor