SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Edible Dallas-Fort Worth magazine

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Woo-hoo! I have found a new magazine that I find quite appealing.

Y'all know that the slow food movement and eat local/locavore movement in this country have been growing in recent years, along with more and more Farmer's Markets, CSAs, U-Pick fruit and veggie farms, grass-pastured animals and artisan bread/cheese makers.

Well, I think it is great more people are trying to make good food choices, and preferring to go with local food sources when possible.

I stumbled across this little magazine a few days ago. It is distributed free in local D-FW stores like Central Market and Whole Foods, but only comes out quarterly and goes really fast when it hits the stores. So, since I rarely visit those stores, I'm going to subscribe to it so I will be sure to get it.

Anyway, it focuses on local sources for foods and touches a little on growing your own and making your own too. There's articles on local food producers, like a woman named Deborah who has a goat farm in Fort Worth and makes and sells her own goat cheese at local stores and farmer's markets. There's also recipes featuring local, in-season ingredients.

I thought it was interesting. After finding it, I searched and found that it is a franchise of Edible Communities which has local magazines in about 50 or 60 different markets (none in OK, though). I spent some time yesterday looking at some of the websites of the different cities' publications on-line and found some interesting recipes.

I've linked the Edible Dallas-Fort Worth website below. You can look at 'online magazine' and see some articles from their previous and current issues.

I'd rather grow and make as much of our own food from scratch as possible, but it is great to know that all these local sources are available for those things I don't grow or make from scratch. One thing I did learn is that pastured poultry is being produced in a Texas city near us. Cool!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Dallas-Fort Worth

Comment (1)