SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quincy_valencia

I'm killing my amazing gardenia!

Quincy Valencia
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

In May of 2015 I bought myself a beautiful potted gardenia, trained like a tree. It was full and blooming and fragrant and gorgeous, until sometime this year.

Several months ago, it started losing all of its leaves, and now looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. I cut back a lot of the branches to try to force new growth and moved it to a sunnier spot. It does get new growth, but not a lot, and just greenery. Then, the leaves quickly start to yellow, and then die. I decided I was overwatering and actually bought a moisutre gauge since I stopped trusting my own fingers, so I stopped the overwatering but it's still happening.

Also, I can see where it looks like there are new buds trying hard to come through, but then they almost immediately turn brown and fall off.

I adore this plant, and I want to bring it back to its former glory. I know it isn't dead, because the cuttings are all nice and green and moist on the interior. Also, I transplanted it a couple of months ago to a bigger (deeper) pot.

Finally, I did finally test the soil, thinking the ph might be off. The ph seems fine (about a 6.25) but it seems to have entirely too much phosphorous and nitrogen. I just don't know what to do about it.

I live in Zone 7b, bordering 8.

Help, please!

Comments (3)