SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

This and That

Saturday was the local daylily show. Although they advertised open until 3pm, when we arrived around 2:20 they were already breaking down the show. I tried to get pictures but hardly had time to focus my camera before the flower was whisked away from the table. I did manage to get three of them taken. You will notice my penchant for yellow coming out again-lol.

This bloom was huge and appropriately named I thought: MONSTER

The next was a pretty yellow one in the rounded form I prefer. With a bud count of 46 I'll keep it on my yellow list: LET ME COUNT THE WAYS:

This next one was so beautiful in person. If anyone grows this I'd like to hear your experience with it. A Trimmer with an HM award: TROPICAL HOT FLASH:

Wish I had been able to get more but lucky to have gotten any at all......Maryl

Comments (14)

• nat4b
    7 years ago

All three are beautiful! Lol at Monster

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked nat4b
  • jean_ar
    7 years ago

I THINK THEY ALL VERY BEAUTIFUL, ALSO, ESPECIALLY THE last one.

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked jean_ar
  • shive
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Let Me Count the Ways is a honey of a yellow. I'll have to look into it. I'd like to see a daylily growing in this yard that really had 46 buds, that didn't drop part of them and that let all the blooms open. ... Tropical Hot Flash is really pretty too. But I thought it had more of an eye.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL indeed Nat. It was as the Donald would say Yew-gh.......I agree Jean. THF was gorgeous....Debra: Let Me Count the ways has America's Most Wanted as a parent. AMW has wonderful form, but fades to white by late PM. You need to trial it to find out about BC and colorfastness. Love how I appropriate your garden space when I'm out of my own-lol...Tropical Hot Flash isn't supposed to have any eye I don't think. It was such a lovely polychrome. From what I saw on ATP (NGA) it reminded me somewhat of How Beautiful Heaven Must Be.......Maryl

• mantis__oh
    7 years ago

Tropical Hot Flash looks very enticing. But one doesn't know about Trimmer hardiness nowadays. Not a concern for you, of course.

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked mantis__oh
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I agree Mantis. I really liked it..... Northern Oklahoma does have some frosty years. Within the last 5 years or so it's gotten down to or below zero a couple of years. Wiped out about 40% of my dayllies 2013/2014, but mine are in smallish pots so tenderness can be magnified. I can see why you would be hesitant in your area. If you haven't already seen it you might be interested in the link below about evergreens and hardiness in the north...........Maryl

https://cottageinthemeadow.hardiness.- ZONE_5_AS_LISTED_BY_GROWERS

• dick_in_ohio
    7 years ago

I just bought Tropical Hot Flash last year. It survived the winter and is putting up scapes. We did have a mild winter, though. Some of Trimmer's do quite well here in Central Ohio, but I have a couple that are struggling. Dancing With Julie is doing quite well too - a last-year purchase from Bob Selman - Blue Ridge Daylilies. I can always depend on his as his climate tends to be a little harsher than mine.

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Tropical Hot Flash is the one that really caught my eye, I really love that color. Anything that has a bud count of 46 gets my attention too. I'm trying to look at more than just a pretty face these days. That one is pretty too, although I wouldn't think about getting it without that bud count I think.

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked Nancy
  • tarheelgirl_7b
    7 years ago

Very nice photos! I like all three.

Lori

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked tarheelgirl_7b
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry Dick I couldn't tell you if it was accredited. I was miffed to say the least. It was held at the Tulsa Garden center which is also used for weddings and I was told that there was a wedding booked so they had to hurry things along. In my little world, open to the public until 3 means the exhibits aren't broken down until 3:01. But hey, the locals did the show, not me, so more power to them. I'm happy they have a show. I just would have liked to have seen more of it.............Maryl

• dick_in_ohio
    7 years ago

It was an accredited show. You can find all accredited shows on the AHS web site.

• deangreen
    7 years ago

wow those last two are spectacular. we closed our show down right at 4pm, not a minute too soon. ha! hope you saw some good ones though. :)

Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a) thanked deangreen
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good for you Dean. You do it like it ought to be done. One of the reasons we got there so late was that I thought it would be open until 4 which to me is a more reasonable time to close then 3. When I found out that 3 PM was the official closing I thought we still had time to see more then the 3 I posted, but things were moving along at a brisk pace, and trying to see what was for sale along with all the exhibition daylilies in a short amount of time was next to impossible....... I've heard the OKC society is a good one, and if you are a member I can see why.........Maryl