SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysunday

We live in Inland SoCal, and we need shade! Which trees?

Sunnyin SanDiego
7 years ago

Also posted this in Trees forum...

We bought our house w/ 1/2 acre lot a few years ago, and I immediately went through and had every single palm tree cut down (sorry, I really hate them, I can't help it). Then the drought got bad, the watering restrictions went into effect, and we were trying to do right by the environment. So, we let all the grass die (which didn't break my heart one bit) but watering less in general meant a few of the trees dried up and died, too. All the magnolias died, as did one of two sweetgums (ironically, the other one looks perfectly fine), and a few others. I'd like to plant replacements to make our lot a shadier one in general. The soil is mostly clay, and typical inland SoCal -- very hot and dry summers, fairly mild springs/autumns, and barely chilly winters that are never rainy enough. Frost is almost unheard of... we might get down to 32 a handful of nights in a year. The spots I have in mind are all pretty much full sun, and big enough that pretty much any size tree would be fine. Any suggestions on trees that can take this climate, require minimal watering, and hopefully grow quickly to provide as much shade as possible? Deciduous or evergreen doesn't matter to me, and I'm after shade, so any sort of blooming or fruit is irrelevant. I was looking at Ficus Nitida, Fruitless Mulberry, and Chilean Mesquite... any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (33)