SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daogirl

So Cal folks - which plumeria does best in the ground?

We're in the middle of re-landscaping our flowerbeds, and my husband has been so impressed with the plumeria growing in containers on the back patio that *he* suggested planting one or two in our back raised flower bed. So, I was wondering if you all have opinions on specific kinds that do well in the ground. I realize I might have to redo the soil in that part of the bed - I'm actually not sure what's there right now since it's buried by some sort of large but low groundcover plant.

Like I said, the flower bed is raised, and is backed by a concrete wall. It's probably 5 feet wide and is really long (the whole length of our yard), and is plenty big enough for trees. In that flower bed there's already a mature Meyer lemon, a mature grapefruit tree, 2 mandarin orange trees, a banana tree, a monster fig tree, a 7 foot tall hibiscus, a couple of NOID trees, and various other smaller plants (and there's still a big "blank" space in the center!!). It is west facing, but the peak of the house casts a shadow that hits that part of the bed relatively early in the afternoon, so it doesn't get baked all the way until sundown. We live in the Inland Empire, so it's hot here in the the summer (90-100+). The winter is also usually pretty mild (anywhere from the low 60s to mid-70s during the day), although it can get cool at night. I don't think it usually drops below 40, though.

Ideally, I'd like to not have to sink a container in the bed, but instead to just put the plumeria in the ground. If the temps happened to get too cold on one or two nights, I'm fine with covering or protecting the plant in place.

Suggestions, advice, words of wisdom are all welcome! :)

Hollis

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH