SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave999z

Need help on proper fit / install / trim for Bosch slide-in range

dave999z
7 years ago

Hello all -

My contractor is halfway through installing my new Bosch slide-in range, model HDI8054UC. But something doesn't look right.

I am a bit confused about how it is supposed to look at the back of
the counter. The range has a lip that hangs over each side so that it
sits flush on the counter, which looks very nice. That is until you get
to the rear, because that trim on the sides terminates about an inch or two shy
of the back of the unit. So even if I slid the unit all the way in so
that it is touching the back wall, on each side there is still that inch
or two at the back where there is an unseemly gap. Seems like crumbs
etc. would just constantly fall in there. I'm surprised that it is
designed to actually look that way. Am I missing something?

It almost looks like there is some kind of metal trim/vent kit or
something on the back of the unit right now that should be taken off? I
would prefer to take it off and just add a 1-2" strip of my quartz
counter behind the unit (I still have the slab remnants, so it would be
doable), and then the lip would sit flush on top of counter all the way
around the sides and the back?

Sorry if I sound confused. (I am.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I just want to understand how this is *supposed* to be done.

-dave

Comments (44)

• dave999z
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So the back of your range looks exactly how I want mine to look. But in order to do that, do I have to remove that trim/grate/vent thing that looks like it's currently installed on the back of my range?

(I wouldn't have been able to do a contiguous strip behind my range anyway, because the counter to the left and right of the range extends beyond the length of a single quartz slab. But I'd be find with a strip of quartz that has tight seams there.)

• Related Discussions

Induction Slide in Range, Kitchenaid vs Bosch

Q

Comments (13)
    We upgraded to KitchenAid induction last year and love it. The cooktop is very responsive to temp changes you make. Can be at a full boil and if you change it to low it stops boiling right away. The simmer feature is also great. The cooktop has a lock feature which is nice. They were (and I believe still are) offering a nice set of free cookware with purchase. They are really great, but took several weeks to arrive. Until we received them we made do with some random pans we bought. The new pan set made all the difference in the world. I just didn’t want to spend several hundred dollars on a new set since I knew they were sending me a set. The oven is large and has a steam setting which I haven’t used yet. There’s also a shallow warming drawer. I have nothing but positive things to say about the range. We are building a new house and I researched gas ranges till my eyes crossed. In the end we have decided to get another KitchenAid induction.
    ...See More

Bosch Induction Range Installation Advice?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Jwvideo, thanks for the reply - I've read many of your comments on induction and ranges with great interest! Yes, I bought the former benchmark model for under $2000. It was too good to pass up, as I was originally debating between the Samsung and kitchenaid, thinking the Bosch was out of my budget. in terms of the levelling legs, yes the manual says 37" .... but then your range is at high risk for breaking a leg when you try and slide it. Don't ask me how I know. And if you do break a leg you're likely to do damage to the unit itself. Given that experience....36.5" is about the safest you can go. I was told it's not an uncommon problem.... Do you think the plywood needs a hole in the midfke or anything? I was concerned about the heat and risk of fire. I was considering making something out of 1x4s - like a grid with planks under the legs and cross beams for support. My counter also overhangs my cabinets by an inch on each side so was thinking I should get trim to seal it in. Any additional thoughts welcome!
    ...See More

30" gas range does fit, granite trimming/solution needed?

Q

Comments (14)
    @M thank You for the advice. The granite countertop overlaps the cabinet boxes, so there’s going to be room once the granite overlap is cut/trimmed. And thanks for that amazon link, I’ll look into that i‘ve been using google search for “granite stone fabricators” in the area that I’m hoping can do the job, and it led to a list of granite suppliers businesses in the area. So should I be contacting those suppliers? I’ll be calling tomorrow morning and just wanna make sure those are the right people to call that can help me
    ...See More

Bosch induction slide in - do I need low backguard trim?

Q

Comments (5)
    Apologies, and thanks for the help. I re-read the install instructions for the trim piece and see I misunderstood what the piece was. The piece I circled actually comes with the range and is NOT the optional trim guard. The optional trim guard replaces the piece I circled and it is just taller than the circled piece that comes with the range. Meant to fill in a gap of wall space between range top and backsplash for those that don’t have backsplash all the way down to the countertop level. I won’t need the piece. I do apparently need to go back to bed or something so my brain starts functioning. All our measurements are good and we have the appropriate cutout for this range. I verified prior to ordering. Noticing this optional piece mentioned on the range page today threw me for a loop.
    ...See More
  • lucidos
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You would need to check with the manufacturer to see if you can remove that vent. Most likely if you have a range hood you shouldn't need it. My stove has a center down draft and no upper hood.

Your counters look great by the way.

• PRO
    GigiLane
    7 years ago
    Add your Quartz to the back
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

So Dave - I think you have installed it with the island trim piece that comes with it. You can a separate heat guard for your application.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Meant to say you need to buy a heat guard that doesn't come with it.

• dave999z
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've been looking at the Bosch manuals, optional accessories, etc., and I called Bosch.

The trim piece you see currently on there at the back is *not* the
    optional "island" trim piece. It's just the normal rear trim piece that
    comes installed on the unit by default. The problem is that it is only
    29 11/16" wide. So even if your counter opening is exactly 30", there
    would be a 1/8" gap on each side of that rear trim. But if your counter
    opening is any wider than 30" (which happens in the real world), the
    gap on each side of the rear trim will be even wider. My counter
    opening is more like 30 1/4, which leaves about a 3/8" gap
    on each side of that rear trim. Which looks terrible.

But I called Bosch and apparently the unit is supposed to include a "corner cover kit" (part number 00634737 should anyone ever need it), which should cover those gaps in the rear corners.

Admittedly, I did not look inside the oven door, because it was still all taped up from the factory. (Though in my defense, there's no corner cover kit listed in the manual as an included or optional accessory, and the install instructions say nothing whatsoever about it.)

I am hoping those corner cover pieces are in there. I'm not over at the site, but will check later on.

Stay tuned...

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Hope so. That's just weird.

• beseaside
    7 years ago
    That vent is needed for the convection oven. I have the induction version of that range and it fits in snugly with no gaps.
  • lucidos
    7 years ago

:/ I was reading reviews on this range...

"Love everything about this stove
    except that the side panels did not go far enough back and it left a
    gap. I had to have the cabinet maker come back and adapt a corner piece
    so little things would not get caught under stove. It also did not look
    aesthetically right."

http://www.sears.com/bosch-30inch-800-series-electric-slide-in-range/p-02248623000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

• Bill Sellars
    7 years ago
    In the packaging that comes with these units there are two stainless steel angled pic that you screw into the sides of the back vent so that they cover this area. If you did not get contact Bosch.
  • Bill Sellars
    7 years ago
    Your unit is actually a better unit in that if smoke comes out of your stove it goes directly up to the vent above. The totally flat units blow air out the front of the unit by the handle making the handle warm and smoke coming out the front of the stove.
  • dave999z
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Was able to check inside the unit and it indeed included the rear corner trim pieces. So that's a relief. I'll be curious to see how good (or not) it actually looks once installed. Doesn't seem like it'll look as clean and finished as I expected. But at least there won't be gaps that look like it's unfinished or wasn't installed correctly.

Will update with pics once install is complete.

• Violette Lafleur
    6 years ago

How did it end up looking? I'm ordering the same range and trying to prepare myself

• Bill Sellars
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

see picture above dated. June 18, 2016 at 5:13PM. The latest picture above has the clips above the side trim and they should be below or against the counter top.

• Bill Sellars
    6 years ago

Also go to this post if you have fan noise issues once you have installed.

Slide in range fan noise issue

Bill SellarsOctober 14, 2014

• dave999z
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I will update with a picture later today. I ended up looking so so, not perfect (those little tabs extend underneath the side panel, keeping it about 3/16" off the counter at the back. Total afterthought by Bosch to address a bad design oversight.

The other design mistake is that the side panels on the front side of the stove don't go back far enough, leaving a few-inch gap under the toe kick. I'll post a pic. Called Bosch and they act intentionally clueless, as if they cannot comprehend the design issue, then they blame it on your cutout depth, which has nothing to do with it.

Lastly, our control panel has had issues. Had it replaced under warranty once. But I think it's acting up again. Great. Can't wait to fin out how much that costs outside of warranty.

Not really sure I'd buy this stove if I had to do it again.
  • Pete Yeomans
    6 years ago
    Here is how the back of our Bosch looks. We intentionally left off the "filler clips" as they stuck out like a sore thumb. The small gap does not bother us at all.
  • dave999z
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are pics of how it looks with the trim tab installed.

I think it looks better than having a huge gap at the back corner, and prevents crumbs etc. from falling down there.

But it is a terrible design. The trim tab, once installed, sits underneath the rear of the side lip of the stove. That keeps the side lip about 1/16" up from the counter toward the back. So ridiculous. Why they overlooked a huge gap in the corners in the first place is beyond me. Why they didn't give even 5 minutes of attention to this afterthought trim tab "fix" is even more beyond me. Really glaring for a company that claims to be such a leader in design.

In another pathetic design oversight, here is what the bottom looks like at the counter toe kick:

That side steel panel should extend back at least another 4 inches. I had endless correspondence with Bosch about this, and ultimately they won by just playing so stupid that I couldn't handle it anymore. In a nutshell, they blame it on my cutout size. However, that's nonsense. Even if your cutout were, say, 30 inches deep, it would look exactly like this. You cannot slide the range in any further than this. Not because it hits the back wall, but because there is a lip at the top front of the range that is designed to meet the countertop. It basically catches/touches the countertop. So if your countertop has a standard 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" overhang, and the toe kick under your cabinet is the standard 3" deep, it is going to look exactly like this picture once installed. Then Bosch is going to blame you and say your cabinet (not counter, cabinet) cutout should be 25" deep, which is (1) ridiculous because standard cabinets are 24" deep, and (2) NOT THE PROBLEM because the front lip where the stove meets the counter is what prevents the unit from sliding in any further. The cutout depth is irrelevant.

Lastly, we've had problems with the front electric panel. The "7" key started failing intermittently. Got the whole panel replaced under warranty. Now it has started to do some other erratic things. We'll see how long it lasts.

In summary, it's almost an awesome unit. Looks great for the most part, except these stupid design errors. And I'm not confident in how well the unit will hold up, but we'll see.

• Violette Lafleur
    6 years ago

Dave999z I'm sorry to hear you've had issues with control panel. I've read so many reviews with complaints about glass shattering on self clean mode but nothing about control panel. I may have to go with another range

• Jeeva T
    6 years ago

Hey all, I'm puzzled by how these slide-in ranges are supposed to be installed. For the OP, how can he wish to have a 1-2" filler of granite/quartz at the back? That would make his range stick out in the front even more. My counter is 24" and I think most ovens have a depth of ~27" so how can one ever get a strip there? I opted to get a cut-out but if there's nothing to cut out in the back, what am I paying for?!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Jeeva T:

Follow the manufacturer's instructions, please.

• PRO
    Ashley Pitts
    6 years ago

@dave999z: Regarding your issues of the side panels not being deep enough to conceal the sides of the range down at the level of the toekick - I recently viewed an HDI8054UC (dual-fuel model) in a showroom and the side finish panels extended about 6 or 7" back from the face of the range. That is SEVERAL inches more than what your side panels' depth is per the photo you posted! I'm wondering if an earlier edition of this range had shallow side panels, like yours, and since then perhaps Bosch has started making these with deeper side panels because of the toekick condition you experienced. I also note that in the install manual (the same manual covers both the HDI and the HGI models - see link below), there is a rendering of the side of the range on page 9 and it shows side panels that are as deep as what I saw on the showroom model. Granted, it's just a rendering, so I don't assume it is to scale. Anyway, I will be purchasing the HGI8054UC, which is the 800 series all-gas model - I sure hope it comes with the deep side panels! I'm worried, though.

http://media3.bosch-home.com/Documents/9001126426_A.pdf

• Marcy Wheeler
    5 years ago

Ashley Pitts, I'm struggling to pull the trigger on a range and this one is still on the possible list. Should I strike it or was this problem addressed in the newer model that you purchased? TIA!

• PRO
    Ashley Pitts
    5 years ago

Marcy Wheeler, the all-gas model has shallow side panels, which i was worried about, but it actually works fine in my kitchen. I have attached photos for you to see this. The range looks beautiful. But, I feel a little silly because it's way more powerful than I need. The burner flames are so wide they make the handles on my inexpensive cookware very hot. Requires potholders to move anything. And the grate pattern is wide such that a small saucepan will tip over if theres nothing in it when you position it a certain way (because the handle is heavier than the empty or mostly empty pot). These are annoyances that I have gotten used to. There is one thing I HATE about this range. The oven fan. It is SO FREAKING LOUD and it comes on during preheat and lasts a long time after the oven is turned off. When the fan finally goes off it's like a long-awaited miracle and everyone breathes a sigh of relief. Apparently, a loud fan is pretty common with slide in ranges. This is my first slide in range so I can't confirm whether they are all this loud. I should have believed the reviews which talked about this...I love the way this range looks but, if i had the chance for a do-over, I would probably buy a different range.

• mvanderwal
    5 years ago

Ashley Pitts do you have a granite strip filler behind it? We are getting this stove, and the granite folks are wanting to put in a 4" strip. That seems excessive and I wonder how it would even work with that raised vent strip in back.

• PRO
    Ashley Pitts
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

No, a granite strip was not needed for me. A 4" granite strip would push this range way the counter. See pics. My counter is 25-1/8" deep and range fits perfectly pushed all the way back. The back of the range has built-in pieces that keep it about 3/8" from drywall for venting/make-up air.

• mvanderwal
    5 years ago

Ashley Pitts thank you!

• Jane Smith
    5 years ago

To get the bosch back further, we had our granite overhang notched to fit the profile of the front that keeps it from pushing back. Downside to that is that if I need to replace the range I will have the missing pieces of countertop on the front edge.

• Julie Wrase
    3 years ago

Where did you buy a slide-in range with the side edges overhanging the countertop? We are trying to find one, and they say they are no longer made with overhanging edges. Appreciate any thoughts.

• Bill Sellars
    3 years ago

AJ Maddison still shows as available. The 54 was replaced with the 56.

AUTHORIZED

DEALER

Bosch 800 SeriesHGI8056UC30 Inch Slide-In Gas Range with Convection Technology, 5 Sealed Burners, Touch Control, Low-Profile Design, 9 Specialized Cooking Modes, Cast Iron Grates, Continuous Grates, Warming Drawer, Self-Cleaning, Proof Mode, Sabbath Mode, and Star-K Certified

• Julie Wrase
    3 years ago

Thanks. This is very helpful.

• HU-666438600
    3 years ago

We just purchased a similar Bosch range and our contractors weren't able to get the lip to line up perfectly with the countertop - they were very concerned about scratching the countertop as the oven slid in so there's about 1/8" gap now.

Is there any way to lower the range after it's been slid in? I've been googling and can't find anything.

• HU-878075571
    2 years ago

I have a 2” gap between the range and the wall because the bottom plate of the range hits the gas connection. Any suggestions?

• HU-252930307
    2 years ago

Two items:

1. If you do not like the gap behind take extra quarts top have it cut an polished and cement to the back wall with polished edge even with top of stove back vent.
    2. You are also missing the tabs on both sides of that vent to cover the 1” after the stove top ends.
  • Bill Sellars
    2 years ago

To HU-878075571

Have your contractor put in a 90* end to connect the hose to, so the hose goes to the side versus straight out from the wall. This will give you more room to push the stove back in towards the wall.

• dtapson
    2 years ago

We were told that voids warranty if we did that

• HU-252930307
    2 years ago

Do this to the wall not the stove connection. They can not void a warranty based on building plumbing.

• Aaron
    last year
    last modified: last year

We’re looking into the newest Bosch all gas slide in 30” range (HGI8056UC) and have similar questions.

The cutout dimensions are close to the range discussed here. They are calling for a 25 ⅜” cutout depth if installed in an island (please see attached).

As discussed in this thread, this is not “typical” as a standard base cabinet is 24” deep, so looking for guidance.

Since we are installing in a new peninsula we have the ability to have the range go deeper (if needed), but it probably doesn’t make sense to install non-standard base cabinets.

Some questions:

1) Our kitchen designer came up with a plan to support this (explained to us to help provide for a cleaner install and help with support). Attached is a drawing of this design.

Some notes: the kitchen designer is proposing to add a back panel add 3 extensions on the base cabinets (to make them 25 ⅜” deep).

To us, it seems a bit unnecessary/unneeded, vs. simply sliding the range back.

What’s your take?

2) Why does this range have a different cutout (we think because the lip that extends over the countertops, see here)?

3) What’s the potential issue if we don’t cutout 25 ⅜” and just the standard 24” (I believe Bosch won’t honor the warranty)?

4) If this range dies, and we provide for a 25 ⅜” cutout, then we’re kind of stuck with this nonstandard cutout. Is this something that Bosch has committed to (doesn’t seem like there any other brands that do this nonstandard cutout). Are we thinking about this wrong?

5) Just to confirm, Bosch is showing that the cutout is of the cabinet and not of the countertop?

Thanks much for your feedback.

• HU-468216429
    last year

Im having the silliest problem . I just cant get the slide in Bosch to go all the way

back because there just doesnt seem enough room for both the gas flex line and the heavy

electric cable to not bunch up together... I have a 48 inch gas flex line and same for the electric card. Ive spent hours and hours with this and am planning on a new gas flex line once I get it figured out because its been flexed so many times trying.....HELP

• Jane Smith
    last year

Are the lines and electrical coming out of the wall/floor where the Bosch diagram shows they need to? there is quite a bit of room at the lower part of the back of the range If the gas and electric are not located where Bosch shows they need to be that might be the issue

my issue was 2 things - the granite strip against the wall wasnt scribed correctly and so it was intruding a little into the space the range needed and the overhang on the fromt of my countertop was preventing it from sliding further back. I had my granite installer trim the granite strip ahainst the walk behind my range and notch the granite overhang so I could fully slide it back

notching kinda sucks though because most “slide in looking” ranges now no longer require a notch and will not hide this notch, so when it comes time to replace my bosch I might have to have the granite ”repaired”

• Jane Smith
    last year

Can you post a couple pics of the area showing your gas/electric as well as countertop?

• K Sissy
    13 days ago

We are thinking of buying the dual fuel version of this stove. I would greatly appreciate any comments regarding if you would buy this again, fan noise, happy with it, etc. TIA

• K Sissy
    13 days ago

We’re thinking about buying the dual fuel version of this stove. I would greatly appreciate any comments …buy ag, happy with it, fan noise, even baking, problems, etc? TIA