SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
upfixer

Induction Slide in Range, Kitchenaid vs Bosch

upfixer
7 years ago

I need all new appliances except the dishwasher. I have a Bosch 800 that I bought last year. The biggest issue is the range and over range convection microwave. I need to purchase soon because my range is about to die. I have been hunting for a slide in induction range for awhile. One of my earlier requirements was knobs, and a month ago I purchased the Samsung, but canceled the order a couple hours later when I realized it didn't have a temp probe, which I feel is a basic feature. I just felt it was not for me because of Samsung customer service issues and general quality of the range though it has some flashy features. Don't like the frigidaire and miele is too expensive. After compromising on digital controls, I leaned toward the Bosch. I'm in a rural area and would have to ship or pick up from Bosch dealer 360 miles away. I can buy Kitchenaid at local Home depot or Lowes, for $1000 less than Bosch for range microwave combo. I had earlier discounted the Kitchenaid because it does not have the overlapping glass top to seal the edge with the counter for easier cleanup. Now I feel like maybe it's ok with trim kit or my husband says he could always put clear silicone in the gap, so now I'm neutral on this.

Kitchenaid pros: local, -$1k, slider burner control, can get taller 9" backguard, can get matching trash compactor

Kitchenaid cons: some reviews say oven preheat is slow. I cook and bake a lot. I bake all my own breads + lots of other baked goods, but I'm not sure if it would be worse that what I have now since my oven door is leaking heat, it has slower preheat.

Biggest con: Kitchenaid has 11", 6", and two 7" burners that bridge (I don't really care about the bridge but might be nice occasionally). I often use 2 big burners on my stovetop. I'm italian so at least weekly have big pot of sauce on + then need big pot for pasta. I haven't cooked with induction. Can I put a 9 or 10" pot on a 7" burner?

Bosch pros: 2 big burners, a 9" and 11", timed shut off for burners, kick open warming drawer, fast preheat

Cons: price, probably at least $1200 more with shipping, not local makes service or return difficult. Burner control with +- looks slower to use, only has shorter 4" backguard, some noisy reviews (I have a fairly open floorplan)

I also somewhat prefer the look of the Kitchenaid except I wish their logo wasn't so blazing big. I also wonder if it's going to look dated soon. I have a kitchenaid range now that is about 20 years old and has been through a lot of use and done great. It was my mother's before me. So I feel like it's been a good brand. I now feel strongly toward the Kitchenaid except for the burner size issue, or can I use a larger pot and then it's a no issue?

I do like that I could get a matching kitchenaid compactor. Fewer companies are making compactors and I need one cause we haul our trash, being rural. I would probably end up with the kitchenaid compactor anyway. I need a counter depth fridge with no ice maker. I don't really like the Bosch or Kitchenaid fridges much. I worry that the kitchenaid handles are so distinctive that it's harder to mix with other brands. Dishwasher, compactor and fridge are near one another at opposite end of kitchen from range and microwave.

I typed this whole message on my phone because my computer is having wifi issues, so please forgive any typos.

Comments (13)