SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joycec_lee

Need help reading construction bids

J J
7 years ago

hi, I posted this in design dilemma too but this maybe the better forum. We're in the process of evaluating a bid (and getting several others but having a hard time finding contractors that do new-build) for a new construction in Sacramento, CA.

My question is there are all these "cost allotments" all throughout this bid/proposal for a ~2500 sq ft one-story house (add'l 500 sq ft garage) and I read that these allowances are a bad idea and that it is much better to nail down (at least roughly) what specific product we want for each door/window/fixture/etc. we need for this house. I've included what's presented to us so far (we actually are asking for further revision to include more items as this builder who is open to us doing some of the finishing touches ourselves interpreted as that we want to supply and install a lot of the items which we don't/aren't able to do so). How do we analyze this bid and evaluate whether it is reasonable. Again, we are trying to get other bids but have not yet been able to do so (several interested builders have not gotten back to us, quite a few seem to prefer remodels but not new builds). I've pasted in partial bid. Thank you in advance.

($53,582) Pour Foundation per plan for House, Garage and Sunroom.

($74,000) Frame the House, Garage.

($13,425) All windows are to be white vinyl Milguard Tuscany style.
Install:
(1) 8068 SGD. Cost allotment $1,300.
(4) 3050 SH. Cost allotment $400/ea.
(4) 5050 S. Cost allotment $500/ea.
(2) 2030 SH. Cost allotment $300/ea.
(1) 5016 S. Cost allotment $400.
(1) 4040 S. Cost allotment $400.
3070 wood exterior door. Cost allotment $900.
Lockset. Cost allotment $150.
½ lite 2868 fiberglass door. Cost allotment $450.
lockset. $75.
2868 fiberglass French door. Cost allotment $800.
lockset $150.
Installing no interior doors except (3) 2068 reinforced, heavy duty Pocket doors prior to sheetrock. Cost allotment $300/ea.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor