SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

I Found My Father's Garden.....

They say you cannot go home again, but I know that we can. It is just that when we go back to our childhood home, especially decades after we last lived in that home, it just doesn't feel like home any more. Even when your mom still lives there.

So, we adult kids (some of whom now are grandparents themselves) gathered at our childhood home last weekend to work on a bunch of projects that our 85-year-old mother no longer can do herself. It was a long, hard day, but the hardest part of it for me was that my dad's garden isn't there any more. He's been gone for 12 years now, having passed away on Father's Day in 2004.

In the beginning, in the early years following his death, the yard still looked like it was his, except there was no veggie garden in the back yard, no tomatoes growing in his huge whiskey barrel planters, and no compost pile. The trees he planted still were there, as were the lawn and flowers, so it still did look like Daddy's yard for the most part.

Over the years, time passed and things died. This past weekend I looked hard and tried to find some living thing that my dad had planted, but they were all gone. The cannas that once lined the sidewalk between the garage and house are gone now. The zinnias, celosias and moss rose are gone from the front flower bed, leaving one lonely rose bush that I planted for my mom (along with many others) in the late 1980s and earliest 1990s. The four o'clocks that popped up all around the foundation of the house and the fence line are gone too. Without him there to care for them, the fruit trees got borers and died, so my brother cut them down. Multiple shade trees that once shaded the large front yard are gone, leaving it really bright and sunny and hot. The huge mimosa tree that fed many generations of hummingbirds lived for several decades but is gone now too. Even his beautiful St. Augustine lawn is gone. With no one caring for it properly, the bermuda grass moved in and outgrew it in hot weather.

There was just no living, tangible reminder of my dad in what had been his yard and garden since the early 1950s, and that made me sad.

So we arrived home, and I ran out to my garden to do a couple of things in the cool, evening hours. When I walked in the garden gate and stopped to look around, I realized that I had been looking for his garden in the wrong place.

In our Oklahoma garden, we have all the veggies he once grew in Texas, and we grow his favorites (tomatoes, peppers, onions and sweet corn) in large abundance just like he did. Here is where the cannas, moss rose, zinnias and celosias can be found, alive and well and thriving. At another place in the yard we have the same types of fruit trees he grew---peaches and plums, and a few roses too. Just outside the garden fence, there is a sea of four o'clock plants, and our huge (though not yet decades old) mimosa tree shades the garden entrance and attracts a lot of hummingbirds too. Our house is surrounded by and shaded by many oak trees we planted in our early years here. Even lambsquarters can be found in my garden (until I yank them out), though I don't grow them on purpose and eat them like my dad did.

As I looked at everything, I suddenly reaized that I had planted my father's garden here in Oklahoma. I think he would be proud of that. I did not deliberately set out to grow plants that reminded me of him, but because these are plants I was familiar with and had long loved, it ended up working out that way, I guess. His influence lives on in our garden.

Are the plants in your garden influenced by plants your loved ones grow or once grew?

Dawn

Comments (14)