SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

Will you be my LR designers on a budget?

jlsch
7 years ago

As you can see from the photos the LR is a 'holding spot' currently as I try to figure out how to proceed. Currently this room doesn't get used much....but I think in part because it is not inviting. I could foresee using it for reading and morning coffee. The slats have been removed that were on the wall between the kitchen and the LR, as I was trying to open that up...but a kitchen remodel is in the near future. I'd like to use the existing blue chairs if I can as I like the size and they are comfortable, and was thinking of either re upholstery or slipcovers. They are King Hickory chairs...don't know if it makes more sense to redo or replace. (When I quoted last year it was the same amount to make a slip-cover as to reupholster!) Want an off-white slip-covered look and I'd like to add in antiques. The carpet needs to be replaced and it also goes into the hallway and down the stairs. If I could find a nice laminate I would consider that and purchase an area rug...but then what do I do on the stairs without it getting too costly. I also want to replace the railing. Ideally I would love bookcase there, it might not be in the budget whereas a railing is more likely to be. The front window will likely get painted an off-white. There is a privacy issue, but it is also a big window and not sure how to handle that economically. Unfortunately it doesn't open...and the dog mars the bottom as it is his hang-out and 'jump on' spot. I could use 1 or 2 of the cabinets. I wondered about separating them and putting something in between. The dark sofa table is from my grandmother, but again would not have to stay; and the same goes for the smaller teak one. The glass end end table will definitely go. I could paint the walls, but really the green is a nice shade and I could also keep it. The rest of the house has light golden oak millwork. I am open to any and all ideas!

Comments (10)