SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Cycas panzhihuaensis and Cycas revoluta questions

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have a small C. panzhihuaensis . It is potted in a well draining mix right now while I kill a bunch of poison ivy in the spot that it is going in. I bought it because of the statement that it has great cold hardiness. I am Z8 Central texas. It also stated that it was from an area of alkaline limestone hills (same as me) in a semi arid area (not this year , but usually) and it grows under oaks. It says sun to light shade. I have picked a site that is on the south west side of a live oak but still under the canopy , on a slope. I could trim the branches up letting in more light. Everything sounds AOK. My hesitancy comes from the variability of my experience with Sago palms. Here I have planted two equally sized sago and treated the same , or so I thought. I planted the right one one year after the left one. My only thought is that the left one gets less light in the winter being closer on the north side of the building. It actually gets more light inn the summer. There lies my confusion. Why such a difference.

My soil is absolutely awful. There is only inches of something that passes as topsoil and then it goes to a limestone marl. My thinking is that even my Yucas are under sized for their species. Usually I dug holes and amended as recommended with a decomposed granitic sand and compost. and maybe a bit of expanded shale. On the slope I am thinking of dragging in a a "V" of cedar logs (freely available in the woods) and building up the added soil ammendment with also digging down. to make more of a bed. Is there any thing that you think I should add to make this pup happy.

This spot would be more on the south side. It would get less light but still a dappled shade, but it would be more visible from the raised walkway. The first site would be just beyond the skinny oak s in this picture. I am a hesitant decider. I get stuck in the circle of either and ors. I don't get deep shade unless it is in the shade of a building. This is raw land. this site does get some shade from the walk way.

. Ok , that was Part A.

Part B is how and when do you move C. revoluta? I have tried and killed them both times. Does one do it during a dry period in winter during dormancy or in a warm period when rot is not as much an issue . Should I nurse them in pots before I re plant them. I have three ones in the shadow of this shop that have never grown much to speak of. I would love them to look like this in time. I pried this pup off a trunk of my mother inlays plant..

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!