SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Moving right along: Fab decor for the staircase wall?

IdaClaire
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Since I feel we've finished our dining space, now it's on to the next area we want to tackle ...

I should probably take better pics before posting, but I can't right now, so thought I'd go with what I've got. Here's a photo of the staircase with said wall (to the right), taken right before we moved in:

You can just barely see the front door open. There is a window down below on the staircase wall, to the right and out of view. It is covered with a plantation shutter. See that window at the top of the stairs? There are two others just like it, at that same height, at the top of the staircase wall. They let in a lot of nice natural light and they will not be covered, but considered (more or less) "architectural features".

This is a pitiful mockup, but pretend that those blue rectangles are the "up high", uncovered windows:

Here are a few more photos that show different views of the foyer area:

This is an older pic (showing a few pieces of décor that have since been replaced, but might be helpful):

Hopefully you can see what I'm working with here. We were initially going to leave that long staircase wall empty, but lately have been wondering how to incorporate mirrors into - or something with some "presence" - into the space. I've been mulling ver how to do a couple (or three) large mirrors, but just can't wrap my head around it. I know we do not want a collection of smaller mirrors or a gallery wall with multiple pieces of art here. We want to limit it to something large and are trying to think of what might be striking.

I know not everyone likes mirrors, but we do. We both like the way they can visually expand a space and reflect other areas. That said, I'm not married to the idea of mirrors only. I had also been considering a large tapestry of some sort. I don't really care for the style of this one, but something along these lines (being mindful of the placement of those upper windows) is what I was thinking of:

Whatever goes in this space will likely need to be professionally hung, since it will be large and in the case of mirrors would be heavy. How one would hang something while on a ladder - on a staircase - sends shivers down my spine just contemplating.

Suggestions for what to hang on the staircase wall?

Comments (28)