SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

What luggage combo works best for you?

dedtired
7 years ago

I am going to Europe this summer and want to follow my (and lots of people's) mantra of "pack light". I prefer to get as much as I can into a standard spinner carry on, so I have a lot of my stuff with me in case my other bag goes astray. However, just the carry-on and personal item are not enough space for nearly three weeks worth of stuff. For ten days in Scotland I took the carry-on and a boarding bag. I checked the boarding bag.

What I think would work for this trip is my medium spinner to check and something else, but what? A backpack might work although I have two layovers and that means lugging the backpack, no fun. Plus, I am not really a backpack kinda girl, although I suppose I could be. Two spinners (medium and carry-on) are too unwieldy.

What combo works for you when packing light? I don't have to lug the stuff around once we get there, which helps, only through airports.

Comments (32)

• terezosa / terriks
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Firstly, you shouldn't need any more clothing for three weeks than you do for one, so maybe you can pare down. But what has worked for me has been my mediumish spinner bag to check, and this small wheeled Ciao carry on that I bought at Costco. I have seen similar bags at TJMaxx, on Amazon, etc. I can hook the carry strap of the Ciao onto the handle of my larger bag until I get it checked in. I also like to have something like this Baggallini bag for my purse, that has a sleeve on the back that can be attached to the rolling handle of either wheeled bag.

• llitm
    7 years ago

I'm currently in Europe for a month with two Vera Bradley carry-on bags, one a duffel similar to this: http://www.verabradley.com/product/large-duffel-travel-bag/concerto/154786_203001.uts?N=50009. The second is a rolling cosmetic rolling bag which duffel rests on, but I don't see it on her site. I use packing cubes and roll all my clothes in them, tops and pants in largest one, scarves in small one, jewelry in another, electronics and converters in another, etc.

• Related Discussions

What Technique Works Best (or Worst) for You?

Q

Comments (10)
    I have mention this before, but the best technique I have used for my Tomatoes and Peppers for saving water / time, less maintance, healthier plans, and better yield is to work the soil with compost of fertilizer deep. I do it only on the holes i will plant them in, (about 12" deep), then much the area with my grass clippings everytime i mow my lawn. Instead of water them regulaly, now i only water them 2 to 3 times a week. If it rains, i might not even have to water them that week. Grass clippings keep the moisture nicely in there, and keeps the soil warm and adds protection from soil diseases. Plus i didn't have to deal with the weeds all spring/summer/fall!. You do have to keep adding the grass clipping because they do decompost pretty quickly. This year, I will be twicking this technique by collecting rain water, and adding it to the plans warm. Plans loves rain water and i do notice the grow faster and healthier with it. also, i will be prunning more to save space and increase yield, (adds more work for the yield is worth it because i don't have much space).
    ...See More

Fridge only / Freezer only combo - What brands are best?

Q

Comments (3)
    Do a search at the bottom, (NOT the top), of the main appliance page, (hit the back button on your browser) to get to the main appliance page, then search for Thermador Columns. You will see them compared to SZ, Mieles, as well as KA's. Everything you wanted to know about separate fridge/freezer combos. As a general rule, folks seem quite pleased with the Thermador columns. We have a 48" built in and paneled Jenn-air (had it for 8 years now), and love it, completely trouble free, cept for an ice maker that died after 5 years, but cheap and easy to replace. Alto the Jenn-air has plenty of space for the wife and I, (both the fridge and freezer sections), had I seen the columns back in 2006 when we bought the JA, I might have been "tempted", alto I'm not sure I would like the idea and the expense of running two separate cooling systems. We pride ourselves on our low electric bill, usually around $60 for a 2700 sq ft house, and I don't think we could do that running 2 separate appliances. To save you some work "searching", just click the "helpful Link" at the end of my post~~~~~it will take you to the Thermador/Miele~~threads I first mentioned, in this post. Good luck with your upcoming decisions!! Gary Here is a link that might be useful: Fridge/freezer separates
    ...See More

Kitchen Reno: Which of these color combos do you like best?

Q

Comments (139)
    Sheeisback, I like the Fallen Leaf as well, but it's a pain because it's a CSP color, which means it's patented and protected by BM, so you can't buy samples in the stores, and you have to buy it in Aura paint. You can get a sample directly from BM, for $10 plus shipping, then the $60 for the gallon of Aura...not worth it to me. Emmarene, the kitchen also has the hand hewn pine beams on the ceiling and the shiplap chalet ceiling, painting in BM White Dove. Have to go back and really go over cabinet options and colors. Thinking about a green or an ivory now since I'm concerned the plain maple will clash with the pine beams. I don't want any cabs with orange in them, and I don't want dark cabs.
    ...See More

What nutrition/fertilizing method works best for you?

Q

Comments (10)
    Some discussions of African Violet plants last forever. This is one of them. A problem we all face or faced when starting to get serious about raising African Violets is food. A couple of years ago, when I had this question, I spent hundreds of hours here and elsewhere looking for some sort of consensus. There really is none but there are two are three front runners. There are another two or three that really provide more possibilities for failure and problems than success. This is my opinion of what I have found to be true. Others will disagree and thats ok. I don't use Miracle Gro for anything. My first year or so of raising AV's were heavily punctuated with fertilizer related issues. This, largely caused by my living in an area with few specialty gardening shops. I ended up buying MG perlite, MG vermiculite, MG potting soil and MG peat moss. ALL OF WHICH CONTAINS UNKNOWN CONCENTRATIONS OF UNKNOWN FERTILIZERS. With the exception of a few experts (one of whom resides here) it is very difficult to achieve success with that many unknowns. I only use Optimara or DynaGro for food any more. I have supplements that I use from time to time but I vacillate back and forth between these two. Are there others? Yes. This is what I have found that works for me. My recommendation is that you eliminate all MG products, choose a non-urea food and keep notes on what you find. Good luck! My apologies to all of you MG users out there!
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh DSG, don't you love packing cubes? I swear I get twice the clothes in a bag using them.The duffel is nice looking. Do you check one of the bags? Congrats to you for getting by with only that much luggage.

Terriks, I have a bag similar to your Baggalini, made by PacSafe. It is very well set up for travel although it has a velcro closure that makes a big ripping sound whenever I want to get in it. I guess it keeps others out, too.

I'm just kind of hoping to avoid two rolling bags. It's so awkward to roll two bags, although as you say, I could strap them together. My boarding bag slides over the handle of the spinner.

Maybe I can get everything in the carry on and boarding bag. It isn't the clothes that take up so much space but the other doodads. I get better at packing with each trip.

• llitm
    7 years ago

Ded, yes both bags are carry-on. Love the cubes. I think part of the key is finding shoes that aren't terribly bulky. I have three pair for this trip. I also carry an REI backpack for incidentals we need during the day, and it rolls up nicely.

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Dedtired- I admire your resolve to pack light. That's something that I desperately need to practice. Part of my problem is that I no matter what size suitcase I use I tend to nearly fill it and I always return home with clothes that I didn't wear but packed 'just in case'. I don't even own a carry-on suitcase but I'm going to buy one this summer. I usually travel with a 26" suitcase that I check, a cross body bag and a nylon tote (with handles and a detachable cross body strap) that I can stick under the seat.

I'm going to Ireland in September for 10 days with a GF who assures me that she only uses a carryon, a backpack and a small purse that she can shove into the backpack. Since we're traveling with a group we will check our suitcases but I think this time I'm going to change my routine. I'll pick up a carry-on spinner and try it out on a short trip I have in June.

I don't use the packing cubes but I bought large plastic packing bags from the Container Store - I like the fact that you can easily see everything inside and they fold into nearly nothing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

We usually each take one carry-on like a back pack (I usually tuck a small purse inside) depending on where we're going and we each check a single bag. For Europe, I used a large zippered tote type thing and DH carried a "slouch" which is also an over the shoulder zippered thing.

I've posted before about vivienne files, but I will again only because her wardrobing concepts make for very efficient packing...lots of outfits out of a few pieces. She also "packs" different wardrobes for different occasions...some dressier, some casual, some that combine clothing for both warmer and cooler wear. I love her 4x4 wardrobes that allow you to get a lot of wear out of only 16 pieces (including accessories).

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

We just returned from a 2+ week trip in Alaska that included a cruise with land excursions and a land trip we planned ourselves. So we had to include both clothing for hiking and activities such as sea kayaking, dressy-casual onboard ship, and just knocking around Alaska, which was very casual. The cruise ship had a self-service laundry on each floor which was very useful. We minimized shoes as best we could and each of us only carries a 24" checked bag and keeps it to around 36-40 pounds. I also use packing cubes and used a couple of compression bags this time. I took black knit skinny pants I could roll up and a couple of knit tops that traveled well for dressier dinners onboard. I also took a cheap drawstring backpack I used for the hiking we did. It folds flat and takes up almost no room in my bag. I could put my cameras (I have 2), a bottle of water, small wallet, cell phone, etc in it.

We also took a couple of small rolling carry on bags. DH took a small back pack and I took a tote bag with my iPad and I tucked my small cross-body purse in it that I could remove if I needed it. We could have checked more bags free if needed but we try to limit what we carry/roll. I don't find it hard to roll 2 bags if it is only thru the airport for a short distance.

I will clarify by saying I carry a dslr camera in my carry on bag, and we always carry a change of underwear and a clean shirt in case luggage is delayed. Add in my basic makeup, power cords, and such, being aware of size restrictions, and you quickly need a decent size carry on bag.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all. Part of my dilemma is that I prefer to have a spinner for hanging around the airports. I have two three-hour layovers, plus the hideous security lines, followed by immigration and customs, and don't want to be lugging a bag, just pushing it. And, as I mentioned, I don't want two rolling bags. Maybe I have too many requirements!

I love the vivienne files! Thanks for the reminder. I wish a more stylish wardrobe would work for this trip but most of it will be sightseeing in the heat (ugh) and some hiking. I have to admit I am having qualms about the heat and crowds, but trying to keep a good attitude. At least I don't have to pack a jacket, gloves, warm scarf, etc. That should cut down on the amount of luggage needed. I will take three pair of shoes and one will be on my feet.

Maire, once I learned to pack light, it made traveling so much easier. I made the mistake of taking a larger suitcase to Paris (to have "choices") and was miserable dragging that thing up and down stairs, over curbs and bumpy streets. Make your choices at home!

• miniscule
    7 years ago

Especially in summer, it is very "doable" in my experience to travel for several weeks with just a 20" carry-on (including wheels) and a soft-sided tote that slips over the suitcase handle. That way you only have one handle to manoeuvre with your spinner:).

On several occasions we have spent over 4 weeks in Europe, traveled by plane, train and car, and never felt inadequately equipped. Even though I could bring the suitcase on board, I usually check it and just keep the tote and a travel purse with me. That way I don't need to mind the case until the final point of entry (if I am lucky!) and can pack nail files etc.

The real secret, apart from being ruthless in choice and coordination, is to be willing to hand wash regularly or use laundry services. I bring 3-4 pairs of lightweight cotton slacks and a skirt; sleeveless tops that I usually wear under long sleeved cotton shirts (left unbuttoned) during the day for protection from sun and AC; 3-4 dressier tops to wear in the evening, often with a pair of black slacks or the skirt; scarves; maybe a dress; a good, light weight rain jacket; a sun hat, couple of nightgowns, small sized toiletries, socks. It sounds like you may not need the dressier items, but it is nice to have something different to change into after a hot day and a before dinner shower.

My shoes are all lightweight and I usually put dressier sandals and flip flops in the case, and wear the walking shoes on board.

In the tote goes a pair of "city" walking shoes. Also in the tote I take a top and UW in case the booked bag gets lost so I could get by for a day, a scarf, drugs, minimum basic toiletries (e.g. toothbrush, sunscreen), my reader, small camera and iPad, and chargers. The sun hat and raincoat would also fit, but it's a trade off in terms of weight so I usually put them in the checked bag. Any jewellry I wear or keep in a small pouch in my purse. Beyond this, all "doodahs" are banished;)

Except, I also keep 3 thin plastic hangers in the case to facilitate drying of hand washed items. My husband does the same. I only bring things that drip dry easily and look "good enough" after so that I don't feel the need to iron them.

This approach has taken me from Michelin star restaurants through all kinds of sightseeing. And, there is still room for purchases, hooray!

I hope you have a great trip! Just keep your blinkers on in the crowds, walk in the shade and remember it is probably hot at home too;)

dedtired thanked miniscule
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

I hear about people using packing cubes and I'm curious, what are the advantages to using them?

• dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, you all are packing gurus! I will have to up my game, or in this case, reduce it.

Hhi, what I love about the cubes is that it keeps your clothes organized. I put all pants in one, all tops in another, undies and socks and a nightie in the third. Odds and ends go in another. Instead of your bag being one big squoosh, you can put a lot in one cube, then zip it closed, so you have several squooshes. It holds them in place so your clothes don't slide and become a wrinkled mess. So if you know you are looking for a pair of pants in your bag, you just look in that cube rather than pawing through everything. Mine are mesh on the top, so I can see what's in them. The cubes ft together well inside the bag, so there is less wasted space. They have been packing lifesavers for me.

• llitm
    7 years ago

Agree that organization is the big plus for packing cubes. I didn't think I'd like them as much as I do but they're making life a whole lot easier.

I also wanted to mention (and probably everyone does this) that I carry a small Baggalini bag for items I'd be in big doo-doo if I lost (passport, phone, credit cards, lip gloss <wink>) and it stays across my body at all times. The backpack carries items that are nice to have but not essential. Yesterday we did leave it behind at a restaurant and didn't realize it for about an hour. At first we both panicked but then realized it had nothing irreplaceable in it (we did get it back).

• Bonnie
    7 years ago

I pack a 20" Delsey Helium and a large black Longchamp tote with a packing bungee to keep them together. On a trip to Paris a couple of months ago, I bundle wrapped my clothes instead of rolling or using cubes-nary a wrinkle. My one rule is that every item must go with the entire wardrobe, which for me means black, gray, white and red. I washed some items at night. I packed a black lightweight trench, black Eileen Fisher knee-length dress, an EF black cardigan, a black skirt, EF black slacks, an EF silk sleeveless blouse, a black blouse, both black and white T's and a couple of scarfs, ballet flats and a pair of sandals. On the plane I wore black jeans, booties, a long sleeve T and a casual black wool blazer. My tote held a small cross body bag and my iPad, along with the quart-size bag of allowable liquids. Reduce!

• joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

We are away right now and I sooooooo overpacked. I usually won't wear the same thing two days in a row at home but when you're traveling it makes sense......do I really need a spanking clean shirt and pants to sit in the car ( or on a bus or train) all day. I know I will go home not having worn half of what I packed and we did laundry once at the half way point. My suitcase is huge and weighs a ton.....49.5 lbs to be exact...and DH is breaking his back getting it in and out of the car and up down hotel elevators and corridors. I never mind waiting 15 minutes or so for luggage so always check my bag, but I think I've learned my lesson on this trip. Lay out what you think you need and then take away at least a third. Packing neutrals is also good......black or tan pants and jeans and you can wear any color top.

For the plane, I love my rolling backpack. It serves as my purse and I love not having anything to carry or on my shoulders walking through the airport. I put my wallet, jewelry, medications, iPad, magazines, etc in it. It's not big and easily stashes under the seat. I pack my regular purse in my suitcase.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I pack my suitcases the same way and have been able to get a lot of stuff in it and relatively wrinkle free. The key is to minimize the folds in the clothing as each fold will take up more air space.

Bag open, top away from me, wheels on left:

I place my folded underwear below the floor of the bag between the rails. I put stockings and anything that might snag in a zip loc bag which I can then later use for anything wet like a bathing suit.

I close the floor fabric and then lay a large cleaner bag from top to bottom over the opening. I don't know why, but I learned a long time ago that your clothes wrapped in a cleaner bag won't wrinkle as much, and I find it to be true.

I then take all my long items...pants, dresses...and lay them horizontally with the waistband to the left inside the bag, pants legs hanging out of the bag.

I then take semi-long stuff like skirts and sweaters that will lay flat without folding and lay them horizontally in the bag on top of the pants.

Next come blouses/shirts which are folded and placed in 2 piles on top of the skirts. This creates a cavity between them for breakables like make up items or spare eyeglasses.

After that, I fold the pants legs into the bag over the blouses so no "knee" creases.

I then wrap the cleaner bag snuggly around all of that and use the elastic straps to snug it all down.

This then leaves lots of room around the edges for shoes, belts, etc. I usually carry some spare magazines as I like to read them and toss them so the bag gets lighter as we go along.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

I'm not one to spend my vacation time doing laundry or paying to have it cleaned which often costs more than the item itself! For longer trips, I get 2 days out of a shirt if, after wearing it one day, I spray it with febreeze and leave it hanging in the closet. It does freshen it enough to get the 2nd day out of it. If I'm not going to be in one place long enough to allow the hand-washed undies to dry, (esp if in humid environments) I will use panty liners as a way to keep them fresh.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You all have put a lot of thought into,your king, except you, Joanie, you overpacker! ;) That's how I learned my lesson, by dragging a big suitcase up to a five story walk up in Paris. I am good at deciding what to bring for the most part. I have been muddling about which bags to bring. That rolling backpack sounds interesting. Do you have a link for that, Joanie?

Annie, I do the panty liner thing, too. Once I had laundry done in Italy and it smelled so strongly of soap I couldn't wear it, plus two items cost $15.

• joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

Dedtired.....yes, I really overpacked and must get a new suitcase that is medium sized. We have a luggage set and I always use the large and DH uses the medium. Will definitely downsize for the next trip!

Here is my rolling backpack. The handle extends longer than is shown. I've had it for about ten years and there is no brand name on it. It measures roughly 12x24. It holds quite a bit. I love that I don't have to carry a heavy bag in my hand or over my shoulder.

• terezosa / terriks
    7 years ago

Joanie, do you ever use it as a backpack? I thought of getting a rolling backpack once, then I realized that I would probably never actually use it as a backpack, so I got the little rolling Ciao bag.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for posting that pic, Joanie. I also wondered if you use it as a backpack. I saw some rolling backpacks at REI today and they are much too heavy to be worn, IMO. Yours looks much more manageable.

• jnavarro31
    7 years ago

Dedtired, are you against the idea of using a backpack? I ask because I have found that getting around with a rolling bag always ends up being a pain in the rear. It's fine if you are going from your house to a plane to a hotel and that's it. But for extended trips where you will be going from city to city, a rolling bag gets annoying and cumbersome to go up and down stairs with and navigate through crowded bus, train, and subway stations.

Before I met her, my wife was one of those people who packed in large rolling bags. Then I showed her how much easier it is to get around with a smaller backpack and she loves it. She is a petite woman and still finds carrying a backpack - and packing lightly, of course - much better than a rolling bag.

As for those combo rolling backpacks, they tend to be heavy and the wheels take up valuable packing space inside.

My absolute favorite travel backpack is the Osprey Porter 45. It has soft and comfortable straps and a nice hip belt that takes some of the load off your shoulders but isn't bulky like a regular backpack. The straps all zip inside a compartment when on a plane so that they don't get caught in conveyor belts if you end up checking your bag. There is a haul handle on the top and on the side if you want to use it that way, and I think the newer models have a place to attach a shoulder strap so you can use it as a duffel bag.

I have used mine on several multi-week trips and have absolutely no problem packing for several weeks in it. For day trips, I just take a small, lightweight frameless daypack that I can roll up and stuff inside.

• joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

I never use the rolling backpack as a regular backpack. I only use it as a purse/carry on for air travel

Eta....if you like the idea of a rolling bacpack as your " plane purse" and don't want a big one, try looking at rolling backpacks for kids which would be smaller and hopefully you could find one without kiddie fabric.

• chispa
    7 years ago

I'm a packing guru ... but in the sense that I can fit an incredible amount of stuff into a suitcase. I don't travel light and I don't have any urge to change! :-)

• tinam61
    7 years ago

We like duffel bags. I roll clothing items. Depending on where/how long we might take 1 duffel bag or one for each and then a small bag for toiletries, etc. and we have a folding hanging bag that has a shoulder strap. Also has a larger zip-up section (think pocket) on outside. I always take more than enough undies for each of us and an extra pair or 2 of socks. We don't like to fly and we prefer condos, cottages, etc. over hotels, so we usually have a washer/dryer, although it's rare we use them.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My boobs look funny when I wear a back pack. Ha ha. I have trouble getting it on and off, too. I'm afraid I will end up like a turtle on its shell. Still, it could be the answer.

I agree that rolling bags can be a nuisance at times, You should have seen me dragging mine up a steep flight of stairs in Edinburgh. You also have to keep an eye on the spinners because they can roll away from you. This trip is a tour so someone else will be moving the bags around. As I mentioned, I prefer to carry on as much as possible in case my checked luggage goes on a different vacation.

Thanks for all your ideas. You certainly do see every permutation of bags in the airports.

• Decor Hound
    7 years ago

My husband and I just got back from a month in Europe and we each had a suitcase and one of these:

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/tarmac-weekend-bag/d/1455_cl_1024

My suitcase was a large garment bag and so I used this for some bulkier
    items and checked it. My husband had a regular suitcase and used his as
    his carry on( It is very durable and lockable so I wasn't worried about it not holding up)

We were able to fit so many things inside - it really is much bigger than it seems yet it's dimensions worked perfectly for carry on. There are different ways you can carry it (handle, backpack-can hide straps when not using, shoulder strap) and it has the panel so you can slide over the luggage handle as well, which is how I used it. There's also a lockable zippered compartment for a laptop and another for all the items you need quick access too.

We both really liked it and would definitely do that combo again for a long trip as it gave us a lot of flexibility in how we used it.

Hope you have an amazing time! We just got back two weeks ago and I already want to go back!

ETA: it works great with packing cubes too!

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Has anyone used a hanging toiletry kit? My sons use them and I was considering buying one for my next trip. I looked at this one but several reviewers complained that the open pockets allow items to fall out. I know there are other brands out there that I need to check. I can see where this could be very useful when you're staying in different hotels every few days.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/PackIt__Wallaby/pd/cl/2796/p/1346.html

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Yes, but I bought the Pack-It On Board. It seemed to have more room in it and fit my needs a bit better. And it's $3 cheaper. I had ordered one for DH a couple of years ago and he seemed to like his. I needed to downsize my toiletries a bit so I used his as a 'trial run' and ordered the red one for me. Worked great. BTW I'm a huge fan of the go-toobs, or whatever they are called, for shampoo, face wash, etc. They absolutely do not leak.

• DYH
    7 years ago

I travel with one carry-on and a tote bag, even for a three week trip to France, Italy or the UK.

I stopped using packing cubes many years ago as they add to the bulk. I roll my clothes and make sure everything works together to make different outfits. In Paris, it's easy to have a wardrobe based on black in the cooler months and navy blue in the warmer months.

I stay in a Paris apartment with a washer, so I can do laundry when needed.

Shoes = difficult decision. I now use one pair of Italian Aquitalia short boots (I have both black and tan, depending on the season) that are stylish, comfortable and waterproof.

I also take a pair of AGL ballet flats (I have black and nude, depending on the season). I have a pair of navy Repetto sneakers that I bought in Paris two years ago. I haven't yet taken those back with me.

When I was in Paris in July 2014, the weather was HOT and HUMID. I had to wash my clothes a lot and I had comfortable gladiator sandals with me, too.

I have a spinner, but I take that only if I'm on a carrier from the US. It's too large for European planes. If I'm connecting from a US airline to a European, I have to take a smaller carryon bag, such as a GoLite (went out of business).

dedtired thanked DYH
  • Bonnie
    7 years ago

dyhgarden brought up a good point about the size of your carry-on and hand luggage for European flights. It's important to check the carrier's luggage limits. The limits tend to be stricter for European carriers.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My ticket entitles me to check two 50 pound bags (seriously??), so if my carry on gets rejected, it can travel free. Good point, though. I recently returned from Montreal and my traveling companion's carry on was challenged for its size. No way it would have fit in one of those size-checker things, but no one else' would either. This was Air Canada. Since it was a short hop the plane was small and they stowed all the carry on bags below anyway. Strange.