SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blameitontherain

What Technique Works Best (or Worst) for You?

blameitontherain
16 years ago

Hi.

I'm curious to know what all of you have found to be a great technique/idea/method/tool/treatment to ensure a great crop of your favorite, so-juicy-you-need-a-bib, tomato. As one learns more from one's mistakes, it would be illuminating (possibly hilarious, as well!) to hear about your all time worst technique, too.

For me, nothing has worked bettter than The Magic Mat (all hail The Magic Mat), that common germination mat selling for about thirty bucks. Tomato seeds planted in pots sitting on the TMM germinate overnight in many cases. Literally! It thrills me to see their little green heads poking up so quickly.

As to the all-time worst -- a tie between using red plastic mulch the first year it came on the market (expensive, fiddly to deal with and prone to collecting little pockets of water teeming with mosquitos) and those single, spiral tomato stakes that look like cool modern art but don't stand up to heavy tomato growth and require much tedious tying, clipping and other thankless tasks.

I saw a picture posted by meteor04 (are you there, meteor man?) on another thread that looked like a good technique: Standard 6-cell pots under what looked like a plastic takeout food container, only with holes at the top for ventilation. Not sure if it is a homemade method or one that you can purchase, but it looked like the right size and setup for a small time, urban "farmer" like myself.

What say you all?

Curiously,

Rain

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio