SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Should I be concerned about this new growth?

KnoxRose z7
7 years ago

Hi all!

I have a baby Anna Oliver that I got last summer as a tiny band, and after nursing it for several months & transplanting it into a larger pot this spring it has finally started to show signs of new growth. A few days ago I saw what looked like a new basal break sticking up out of the soil, it was arched over & the top of it was stuck in the mossy growing medium used by the nursery to root this cutting. I was afraid to help it along by unwedging it, so I left it, I noticed a couple of days go it finally unwedged itself & was pointing up in the right direction, but it looked very strange & somewhat gnarled. The thing that makes me most alarmed about this is that this particular new growth seems much redder than the new growth on all the other parts of the plant, and it has been exposed to the sun for several hours a day for the last 3-4 days, and has not changed much or grown more, or greened up at all. I might be paranoid in thinking this, but could it be RRV of the roots? a very rose-like weed? Or just a new basal that can't seem to normalize itself after reaching up though this bizarre foam-like growing medium?

Also, I've potted up this rose since it's been in my care, but I was afraid to mess too much with this weird foamy stuff it was growing in because I didn't want to damage the roots in any way, and so I assumed it would break down over time. When I was examining this weird new growth I grabbed the main stem of the rose & wiggled it slightly, when the weird growth wiggled slightly along with it I assumed they were connected, but maybe this is just some weird seedling stuck in this foam stuff. What do you guys do when you receive a rose grown in this substance? Just let it be or attempt to break it apart?

Thanks for reading & for any responses!

as I'm posting this I am realizing that these photos are not as in focus as I thought, if you would like clearer photos I can take them...

Jessica

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting