SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurenmarie01

Newbie having issue with raised beds

laurenmarie01
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there! I've been trying to research what my issue could be and potential solutions, but I thought I'd be better off by asking directly about my specific situation.

We built 4 raised beds for the first time this year, all are 4' x 5' x 9". My father was on soil purchase duty, and went with the Big Yellow Bag. He keeps claiming that it's great soil but over that past week we've been watering daily with the sprinkler for an hour, yet the top 1-2" of soil keeps drying out on top, and still doesn't seem to be very moist even as you go further down. We added nothing to it prior to planting and now I am not sure what to do.

I have transplanted a number of plants I purchased and seedlings I started inside, but it seems as if everything has stalled in the last 1-2 weeks since planting. Complicating the issue even further, I didn't plan ahead well and didn't start as many seedlings as i should have, so I planted a number of seeds (peas, lettuces, spinach, arugula, onions) directly in the ground about a week ago and nothing has begun to sprout...., Trying to add something to the soil worries me because of the shallow planting depth needed, so I have no idea where to go from here. All of my zucchini and squash plants are yellowing too.

Any and all advice is welcomed. I'm nearing full panic mode here...

edited to add: I just added some shake n feed this morning too, in case that matters.

Comments (10)