SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chazza_gw

Raised beds and compost - newby question

chazza
17 years ago

Hello!

I've recently (6 months ago)had a large tree cut down at the end of my garden which has opened up some sunny space for 4 raised beds, approx 2 yards x 1.25 yards each. I've double dug two of the beds so far, removing about 1 spit's worth of heavy clay subsoil and many, many rocks(and carting it all away) and then forking the remaining subsoil. I aim to raise the beds approx 6 inches above the surrounding soil level, so I have about a foot or slightly over of 'new' soil to find for each bed..

As far as filling the beds is concerned, I have:

1. About 2 inches of very poor quality topsoil from the excavation.

2. Approx 0.75 sq yard of fully composted leafmould, plus the same of partially composted.

3. Approx 1 sq yard of garden compost collected from kitchen scraps and lawn cuttings over the last year(anaerobic process)

4. Access to a local coffee shop which gives me about 2-3 pounds of grounds per day.

5. About 1 square yard of sawdust mixed with soil which is left from the tree's main roots having been ground out. This is beginning to rot down.

Sorry for the length of this! My general question is what do I do next? Specifically, do I wait for the sawdust/soil to rot before including it in the beds? Can I put the unrotted coffee and partly rotted leafmould straight into the ground? If I don't put it into the beds now is it better to mix everything up or keep it separate as it is at the moment. Do I need more topsoil?

FYI I live in an area of mild winters, with frosts occasional, and heavy rainfall (for UK, maybe about 40-50 inches p.a.)

Any advice gratefully received! (and apologies again for the length of the post)

Chazza

Comments (8)