SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Another perspective on coconut oil

Alisande
7 years ago

I've been following "the coconut oil thread" (actually, it's called Prescription Meds), but didn't comment because I had nothing to add to the discussion. Everyone here has heard my "we're all different" speech.

But this morning I read an ongoing message thread in a gene mutation group I belong to, and thought I might share some of the comments here. I'm not familiar with the gene mutations mentioned, although I plan to read up on them because I know I have fat metabolism issues and so did my dad.

Following are comments from seven people, each comment in one paragraph. Take 'em or leave 'em. :-)

("Yasko" referred to in the first comment is Dr. Amy Yasko.)

Kreb cycle blocks can also cause fat metabolism issues. A Metabolic Analysis Profile will help identify such problems. Yasko recommended I avoid all things coconut, as in certain individuals coconut oil/extract/lauracidin can cause retention of toxins.

I've been told to avoid it also. It's crazy, everyone is coconut oil crazy, it gets so confusing.

Everyone is different, what works for one may not work for you. It's too bad, but you just have to experiment. I have benefited greatly from coconut oil, butter, and lard. Then that's me.

I am a carrier for the ACADM mutation that causes MCADD, medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency, a disorder of fatty acid oxidation that impairs the body's ability to break down medium-chain fatty acids into acetyl-CoA.

There are many genetic markers. In 9 years I have had many clients and see this over and over. If you can't process fats well, being on a high-fat diet is dangerous.

I find this very interesting, and annoying, as I started adding coconut oil to my coffee a year ago, and it seemed to help me lose weight, as I was not as hungry, craving/eating junk, and then I got sick with autoimmune, etc. Looking back on last year, I often wondered did my eating coconut oil cause me this problem. Then I bought some coconut cream for my skin and it broke me out, and this is when the lights came on.

Research shows that for those who carry the ACADM mutation, the enzyme works at about 50%. Coconut oil is a medium chain and requires this enzyme to process it. The Metabolic clinic at Children's told me flat out that carriers have no symptoms.

Comments (8)