SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jetrash

Now the backsplash is messed up!

Saida Rashid
7 years ago

I had my heart set on a light grey grout line with my white subway tiles. I picked out a simple subway tile that has a 1/16 grout line built into it when you butt the tiles together so we wouldn't need spacers. One wall has been completed and the grout lines are not even. They are 1/4 inch thick in some spots and practically non-existent elsewhere.

I'm being told the only way to fix this is to use white grout so that the inconsistencies don't show too much. I really don't want to use white grout! So if I insist on using light grey grout am I going to regret it?

I've included pics. The grout is one issue but also the lines were messed up on the brick pattern and so we had to ask the tiler to put in little pieces of tile so that the lines lined up vertically. You can see what I mean in the third picture. Just above the top left corner of the framed herringbone pattern there are two small pieces that were added in to continue the flow of the line down the wall. This was also done on the bottom left corner.

It looks pretty messed up to me and probably to some of you too. But I'm thinking that to a regular person who doesn't hang out in this forum, maybe in the grand scheme of things the discrepencies won't be so noticeable? Especially once the range and hood are installed.

The close ups look yucky, but the third picture gives an overview from a distance and it resembles white subway tile with grey grout. Does it look SO bad?

I'd appreciate your input. The tiler is coming back to grout tomorrow morning :/

Comments (12)