SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Embarrassing My Wife

On this lovely Memorial Day, my wife suggested we drive an hour north to the IKEA store in Tampa, Florida. She needs a new cat food container and cutting board. As we walk past the kitchen displays, I'm quickly appalled. And my wife is quickly appalled at my pulling drawers out to take pictures of sink attachments and other doozies:

When he didn't get the pieces to align flush at the front edge, this installer burned the edge of this engineered stone top attempting a grind and polish. Granite responds well to some heat; estone melts like the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz. You can feel it at the "blend-in" at the lower right of the picture. This is so rookie I'm beside myself.

Would it kill someone to clean the leftover tape stickum out of this sink?

Or sand the scratches out of this solid surface bowl?

While this seam doesn't look too bad, Beginner-boy has again attacked the front edge and profile attempting to make the two 8' sections flush. They feel terrible. He flushed 'em up alright, but they're still out of plane to each other. I found an 18" straightedge and it rocked an 1/8" on each end when centered on the edge at this seam.

I'm fighting the urge to gouge my eyes out. He's struck again, this time rounding the curved end edge and using a little seam fill to get to flush.

I'll spare the pictures of the sinks that had polyester holding them in and the polyester/wood shim version too. Here is a proper mechanical sink fastener, except it's imbedded into Ceaserstone which specifically prohibits this practice. Page 22. The zero radius sink top had square corners, not the 3/8" required radii. And a pencil edge for better chipping.

Here's a not bad estone seam.

I am never happy to see countertops poorly displayed. Fabricators aren't in competition with each other as much as they are in competition with other high-ticket items like boats and cars. I can promise you there are no scratched or misassembled cars in your local Ford dealer's showroom. Why here?

Comments (14)