SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
octoberdana

Tile or Granite Fireplace Surround (Update)

octoberdana
7 years ago

A few weeks ago I posted about whether to do a granite, tile, or stone fireplace surround. The overwhelming answer was stone, and I was all prepared to do that. When I got to my design center appointment I was told that my builder requires that the stone on the exterior and the interior be exactly the same. Sadly, the stone I chose for my exterior will not work with my interior choices and I wasn't wanting to change them. So this leaves me with a choice of tile, granite, or brick. Since my brick would have to be white and my trim is white I eliminated this choice. The granite's are pretty busy other then absolute black. My kitchen island will be directly behind the couch, and it will have Azul Platino granite, so my selection can't look like it is trying to match. We have 5 base tiles to choose from, none of which are super amazing. I narrowed it down to these 3 choices and I have a picture of them with my flooring. My cabinets are an off-white, and my kitchen/great room floors are the same walnut.

Which would look best?

This choice is a base tile, shown with the white mantle and the walnut floor selection.
This choice is also a base tile....
This is the black granite.

My concern with the base tiles is that they will pull too yellow. My concern with the granite is that it will pull the room cold feeling.

Comments (26)