SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growlikeapro

Why don't furnace fans have a "timed" mode when using summer fan "ON"

Grow LikeAPro
7 years ago

Hi guys, I just had central AC installed a few weeks ago. I have a 2 floor home, main floor, upper floor ( bedrooms ) and the basement.

I'm quickly seeing that the upper level never gets as cold as the main floor, and the basement is always extremely cold. I have closed ALL vents in the basement, and this helps to equalize the temp in the house, however, it seems that you really need to keep the furnace fan in "ON" mode, instead of auto, where it will shut off after the central AC has stopped cooling the house. However, what happens if you do NOT want the furnace fan running all night long ? I'm guessing new furnaces most probably have the option of a timed mode for the furnace fan... so to clarify.... you could have it going for a hour then turn it off for an hour, etc..... a real timed mode. Perhaps that doesn't exist, but I was thinking of that today...... I am just worried that constantly running my furnace fan will drastically increase my electric bill, and put a lot more undue stress on the fan. Running the furnace fan for even a week 24/7 is probably more than it would run for a full winter season when I'm heating. Anyway, thought it was a good topic, I'd love to hear your opinions. Thank you.

Comment

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!