SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay6a

Native plants for very dry,very deep shade.

Jay 6a Chicago
7 years ago

I gave some plants to a friend who has a yard that has very deep shade from old large Oak trees.This is in zone 5 about 40 miles south of Chicago.The last few years we have had long droughts during the summers and I was worried that all the plants had died from lack of water.When I went to look at them this spring I was amazed because the Virginia bluebells,wild geranium and wild ginger were thriving and multiplying.I always thought the bluebells and ginger needed moist conditions all the time,but it seems like they thrive on some neglect.The Solomon's seal is just holding on(I'm going to rescue it) and the hepatica has vanished so I assume they need more moist conditions.Just a thought.People always tell others how great hostas and daylillies are.They say how tough they are."You can just put them in the ground and neglect them for years and they will survive."Almost all the hostas and daylillies I see look sad and depressing because the person who planted them just dug a hole,planted them and then neglected them for years.I no longer have any daylillies,and I'm replacing my last few hostas with native woodland plants.Hoping to get a couple of native wood lillie's next year.I think a rounded clump of Solomon's plume or starry Solomon's plume beats out hostas day.And the wildlife thinks so too.Also I've finally got the will to dig out my 2 huge peonies.It took years for them to reach mature size and the flowers are beautiful,but they come as go in the blink of an eye.When they flower and we have a heat spell the new flowers just disintegrate.The foliage is ok,but the plants are like a brick wall blocking sun and making it hard to move around.I'd rather have more airy natives growing in their spot.I found out there is a native peony that is nothing like our garden variety.It's actually quite amazing looking and I'd like to grow it but I'm not sure it would survive in my Midwest zone 5 area.I'm going to research this some more.

Comments (18)

Sponsored