SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 107 - What was your childhood kitchen like?

beachem
7 years ago

I want to honor the memory of our armed forces this weekend.

I didn't grow up in the States so my experience was different. I am lucky enough to be living here now due to the sacrifices of our veterans since we were political refugees.

I only know what our kitchen was like since it wasn't socially polite to ask and see someone else's kitchen. Visits were very formal and centered in the public rooms for us. I don't even have a clue of my great grandfather's kitchen since we never stepped foot out of the living room or dining room.

My favorite memory was the well room. It was outside the kitchen and had shelves of snacks, pickles and yogurts. It was cool and fairly dark. Yes, we had a deep well inside our house even though we had running water. It was concrete lined and went super deep.

The kitchen was back of the house and quite large. One wall had huge human sized ceramic pots that were around 4 feet tall and filled with water.

There was an industrial looking rangetop on top of a concrete table. The metal hood vented out into the back yard. Below the rangetop were open shelves filled with pots and pans. We did not have ovens.

Our baking was done with an huge open flame concrete/ceramic oven rather like a pizza oven. This is where our cook grilled, barbecued, and baked.

On the other wall, we had another concrete counter that was filled with coal and wood. There was always a pot of hot water boiling.

I don't remember a fridge at all and will have to check with my dad. We went to the market for our meats and vegetables every morning.

The kitchen was busy all day long with several people working on large wooden tables that functioned as islands.

I was a frequent unwelcomed visitor since I got underfoot and did get into one bad accident.

What was your childhood kitchen like and were you allowed to cook?

Comments (19)