What is Cooking in Your Kitchen This Week?

Marilyn_Sue

I have not decided what I am fixing today for sure but thinking on fixing a peach pie with a crumb topping for one thing. My youngest daughter had her second knee replacement surgery yesterday and I will fix food for them for awhile. She may come home today. Possibly some home made bread.

What have you been fixing this past week?

Sue

SaveComment34Like
Comments (34)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elizabeth

Tonight is steaks on the grill, oven fries and a big salad made with our garden tomatoes and cukes.

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Debby

Today we're doing a turkey and a smoked ham. Thanksgiving is this weekend in Canada and I don't get Monday off, so we decided to do dinner a few days early. My kids will be coming over BUT: we have a huge yard and a firepit and it'll be a warm Fall day here in Calgary (+18C) so dinner will be served outside around the firepit for social distancing. We all work in customer service one way or another, and we all use PPE at work, but won't take the chance of being asymptomatic and spreading it to other family members. Well, this *is* still taking a slight chance but less of one than sitting indoors around a table. :)

Alisande

Sometime this weekend I want to make what I call a puffed oven apple pancake. I think another name is Dutch Baby. I also want to make Thai Pineapple Rice.

nicole___

My husband and I have a bet. If his presidential prediction wins.....I make him lasagna once a month for the next year.

Think I'll make him lasagna tonight. The election is still a ways off. ☺☺☺

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
marilyn_c

Making shrimp gumbo today. I was going to make it yesterday, but got a late start. I did make the roux, which is the most time consuming part.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
bengardening

too much chicken noodle hot dish

sjerin

Dd1 just had a baby and will be heading home today. She's vegetarian and her dh will eat vegetarian so I'll have to look for some soups, etc. I can make them. Their little one is a bit fussy and they are soooo tired from the difficult birth and hospital stay. Anyone have any good recipes? When asked, she told me she doesn't really like cream soups. Darn.

I'll also make her some Indian ladoos (wrong spelling,) which are nuts, coconut, dates jaggery (dark sugar,) some acacia resin and lotsa ghee rolled into a ball. My sister-in-law made them for me after my first delivery and they tasted good. I'll hope I get them right.

There's a chef on pbs who specializes in New Orleans Cajun(?) food and I find it so fun to watch him. I've learned a little about what goes into such dishes and they look delish!

donna_loomis

Tonight it will be chicken thighs in a mushroom cream sauce over pasta of some sort, heavy on the mushrooms. And dessert will be a pumpkin crunch cake. Tomorrow I'll make a pork stew.

beesneeds

A verde shrimp and scallop posole for dinner tonight. Was thinking about doing a sweet potato poutine sometime soon, I've been having a craving for that.

arcy_gw

Alisnade I wonder if that is what I call "German Pancake"? We are grilling steaks too. This morning I made almond poppy seed bread for breakfast.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I made pumpkin bread and apple crisp this week. And butter chicken. And I also grilled steak last night and looking forward to a leftover steak sandwich for lunch!

I have various packets of leftover shredded chicken in the freezer that I am thinking I might use to make a chicken and rice casserole. It's kind of wet and gloomy outside today and a casserole sounds appealing. And a bunch more apples I need to make applesauce out of before they get too funky.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan

I have a pumpkin swirl cheesecake baking in the oven right now! It's my first time making this recipe, fingers crossed it turns out. It was a request from my 18 year old son, who just discovered the wonders of cheesecake this year.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/pumpkin-cheesecake/

sal 60 Hanzlik

eggs, potatoes, bacon and toast for lunch Maybe a pizza for dinner? Lazy day.

blfenton

Thanksgiving here this weekend. We're having dinner with my niece and her family tonight. Just the 6 of us as they are in our bubble and then tomorrow we'll see our kids who are also in our bubble.

Judy Good

We have a chili cook off today, so big pot of chili in the crock pot ready to go. I made corn muffins to bring also. Tomorrow is an easy one, Italian pork loin, baked potatoes and frozen squash I froze a couple of weeks ago. Oh and ham and onion pig tails for nibbling on.

nancyjane_gardener

Finally some cooler weather (for now, anyway) First soup of the season. Chicken tortilla soup.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Creamy tomato basil soup and chicken stew. Other than that, I've only had nibbles of cheese and nuts/seeds.

seagrass_gw Somewhere

I'm thinking of making vegetable beef soup to clear out the refrigerator. I have a small whole cabbage I forgot about, the end of a bag of carrots, some celery that is still viable, half of a huge onion, I have some diced frozen beef I forgot about - I think I meant to make hash with it. I always put butter beans in this kind of soup instead of potatoes and I use beef broth with a bit of concentrated tomato paste from a tube. I'll have to use frozen green beans, since we're not leaving our house for the weekend.

We've both been feeling kind of lousy since getting our flu shots, for some reason, and DH found a tick bite on this thigh with a red ring around it putting him at risk for Lyme disease so he was prescribed a one time high dose antibiotic that really bothers his stomach and makes him tired.

stacey_mb

We are celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend and our dinner will be on Sunday. It will be a small celebration, with DH's two brothers and one sister joining us. I already made Spicy Meatballs and cut up some carrots that I will put into the pan with the turkey. We will also have gravy, mashed potatoes, sauteed sugar snap peas, salad and dinner rolls.

Has anyone ever baked a frozen pie that is in a glass pan? I made an apple pie that I froze and apparently it's best to bake them frozen to avoid sogginess. But I'm very nervous that the pan will shatter from being put into a hot oven. For dessert, we're also having Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee cake, one of my very favorites.

Alisande

Arcy, it looks like a giant popover made in a large iron skillet.

Sjerin, congratulations on your new granddaughter! Here's a vegetarian soup that my family likes a lot:

Moroccan Chickpea Soup (very good!)

2 tbsp vegetable oil (I use olive oil)

2 large carrots, finely shredded

½ cup finely chopped onion

1 clove garlic minced or put through a press

1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained

3 cups vegetable broth, divided

1/3 cup sesame tahini

2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley

¾ tsp. ground cumin

black pepper to taste

½ tsp. dried thyme

¼ tsp. turmeric

cayenne pepper to taste (optional)

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Set aside.

Process the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and 1 cup of the vegetable broth in a food processor until smooth.

Stir the pureed mixture into the pot, then add the remaining vegetable broth and the other ingredients. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.

Serves 4—although I think that’s debatable. I made it for 4 people recently and increased the quantities by 50%.

OutsidePlaying

Tonight it’s chicken Alfredo (homemade sauce of course) with a side of roasted asparagus.

hallngarden

Mac and cheese, black eyed peas, lacy cornbread, cherry pie for dessert.

AJCN

sjerin

I make soups and Creole one-pot meals often. My son is vegan, and if the other people want chicken or sausage in the soup I just serve that on the side and they can put it in if they want.

Here are some that I like. LMK if any of these sound appealing and I'll post the recipes. I usually start with a recipe and make a bunch of changes over time, so my recipes contain a lot of options to customize the flavor you want.

Black bean soup

White bean and Swiss Chard soup

Shrimp soup with potatoes (with vegan option)

Bean and swiss chard soup, Italian style

Minestrone soup

Colombian Ajiaco (with vegan option)

Shrimp creole (with vegan option)

Congrats on the baby!

phyllis__mn

SILs did some chores for me today so I made some wild rice soup (recipe from Jasdip!)> It was very good. Now I have enough cooked wild rice left over to make some cranberry/wild rice bread!

Kathsgrdn

Felt less fatigued than I have been when I got up this afternoon. My day and nights are really messed up, been napping a lot. I didn't go to bed until 6 am this morning. Got up around 3:30 and went out in the garden. It has been raining today but is balmy. I can't believe it is almost mid October and no frost. My garden is looking bad but still producing. I made a breakfast of grilled okra, green beans and Padron peppers. Picked a few cherry tomatoes and made a one egg scramble with green onions, turnip greens and tiny summer squash from the garden. It was all so good. My sweet corn may make it before the first frost!

amylou321

Today was my oldest sisters birthday and so I made her a batch of her favorite nibble, olive bread. I put it together when I got off work this morning and delivered it to her before I left for work this evening.

Forgive the mess. I'm a messy cook and just got done cooking breakfast when I made the nibbles.

No other specific plans for cooking other than cooking will be done.....

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I just put a slab of spare ribs and some pork belly burnt ends on the smoker. They should be ready to come off about 30 minutes before the Chiefs vs. Raiders game at noon today. I made some potato salad last night and will make a batch of Coleslaw in a bit.

lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan

Here is a photo of the pumpkin swirl cheesecake I posted about above! I added some sweetened whipped cream to the top. We haven't eaten it yet, but I snuck some nibbles of the gingersnap crust and it was delicious!

georgysmom2

Oh my, that olive bread and pumpkin cheese cake look so good! Amylou, you are a woman after my own heart. I am a very messy cook.

I made some mini peanut butter banana breads yesterday with a peanut butter glaze and sprinkled with chopped honey roasted peanuts. A new recipe and it's a keeper. Right now I have some crusty bread baking in the oven. Later today I'm going to make a big pot of chili for when it gets chilly.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Amylou, I used to make a half (longwise) loaf of Vienna bread slathered with an olive, cheese, chopped egg, onion & can't remember what else spread. It really wasn't very appealing looking, but oh was it good! Now I have to see if I still have the recipe and make it again!

I bought a gyros kit at Aldi and made that yesterday & shared with my DD. Not nearly as good as the local shop, but way less expensive and decent - I used cherry tomatoes (my last), red peppers, thin sliced zucchini and arugula on the side.

Today I started using the ham that I found on deep discount that has been taking up space in the fridge. I sectioned it up, will keep some in the fridge for the next few day's meals, and freeze the rest - including the bone for bean soup later.

I am going to make that apple pie that I have been wanting tomorrow - my incentive for getting all the blinds in the house wiped down and the fridge cleaned (I finished washing the windows yesterday). Making good progress on the fall cleaning.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Know I am roasting a chicken today. Other than that, will play it by ear.

beesneeds

The posole turned out wonderful last night. I used my homemade charred tomatillo salsa.

Tonight I realized I still had some fresh broccoli that needed eating up in the freezer drawer. And feeling a little lazy after a day in the garden... so popped a ham, broccoli, and julienne potato au gratin in the oven for dinner.

Marilyn_Sue

Today I made a lot of tuna salad for sandwiches, a spice dump cake and two kinds of Jell O. Sent it to my daughter's home. She had her second knee replacement. My tuna salad had a lot of eggs in it. Their hens are still laying a lot.

Sue

Save    
sjerin

Thank you to AJCN and Alisande. They all sound lovely!

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: A Cooking Maven's Small Kitchen
A food blogger shows that an amazing meal can be whipped up in any size kitchen with the right tools, storage and attitude
Full Story
Before and Afters Kitchen of the Week: Bungalow Kitchen’s Historic Charm Preserved
A new design adds function and modern conveniences and fits right in with the home’s period style
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Elegant Updates for a Serious Cook
High-end appliances and finishes, and a more open layout, give a home chef in California everything she needs
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More