SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16535275

How do I arrange this?

User
7 years ago

This is a pic of our backyard, via the internet of course. LOL.

l am the one that has this dilemma of making a living wall in front of the brick wall that is our back "fence" as the road behind it is getting busier by the day. The houses across the road all have balconies so we want to make the wall taller for privacy.

Green = tree (I've posted about maples before, so you may remember me, we are not planting a maple here but still haven't chosen something)

Purple = purple hopseed in tree form (I want to plant under it.

Yellow = existing dwarf meyer lemon

Orange = future dwarf mandarin

The rectangles directly above the yellow and orange are my raised garden boxes.

Not looking for ideas on WHAT to plant, as I now have a list. BUT, I was at the nursery today and the gentleman that helped me pick some Coprosma for the patio edge told me I should plant a row of whatever shrub I pick between the tree and the hopseed and the same exact shrub between the hopseed and the corner of the yard, and plant another tree in that corner. So tree, shrub, hopseed, same shrub, tree.

Do you guys agree? Or could I do one kind between the tree and the hopseed and another kind between the hopseed and another tree in the blank corner???

And if I want to add in some arborvitae for height and interest (love Forever Goldy for its fun color) how would I go about that???

Stuck on the "how to arrange it" part. I would be planting other, more interesting shrubs in front of this row, so this row is not the end all be all, just the foundation for privacy.

Comments (29)