SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
legacybuilder2

How do I arrange my furniture better?

legacybuilder2
13 years ago

My living room is sooo blah. The furniture arrangement just isn't working. I've tried a few things but it made it feel cramped. Can you give me some ideas to help the space feel more inviting? Do I need more furniture or need to take something out?

The picture is from the dining room looking into the living room. However, you would enter from the upper left side of the picture (that's the front door).

Comments (46)

• larke
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The first thing I'd do is not angle the bookcase. For some reason so many people think it's a good idea and it just looks dated and takes more space than necessary - it could even go ~ 4' back from a sofa if necessary. The next thing I'd do is get that little table away from the big windows... out of proportion unless your furniture was also spindly, which it's not. In fact, the b-case might even go well there as a focal point. Maybe. I'd move the hassock 2' away from the sofa instead of hiding it, and instead get a proper coffee table, narrower, but not so long it interferes with whoever sits on the 'L' part of the sofa, and then put the little (flower) table beside the L. Put the window's table where the round one is now and put just a few larger things on it. No TV? That would seem like the right place for it, if not on that table then on a proper stand (or is it already up on that wall over the flowers?). I'd also put artwork or a photo array over the sofa, but as it's pretty low, don't put one very large piece or it'll overpower everything else. And do paint a brighter color on the walls, maybe a light caramel to go better with the carpet and furniture.

• larke
    13 years ago

How about a great big plant where the bkcase is now if you move it between the windows?

• Related Discussions

Help - Our family room! How do I arrange our furniture

Q

Comments (9)
    Can the fish tank sit on top of the record player? Those could go between the windows. Personally, I would have put the TV on the wall right of the FP where you have the whatnot shelves and would have floated the two loves in an "L" out in front of the TV/FP area. The chair and ottoman would go in the recess by the closet for a quiet reading nook. Add a bookcase and lamp to flesh that out. You can still try that arrangement, but there is not much space for seating within easy viewing distance of the TV when it is high, smushed in to the corner and adjacent to the stair area, doors and traffic path. You might seriously want to reconsider the TV placement for optimal use of the space with your current furnishings.
    ...See More

Where Do I put my tv and how should I arrange my living room? Help!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Can you return it and get a smaller one? (I admit I think your fireplace wall is lovely and I personally wouldn't ruin it with a television. But I am a tiny minority who has lived without television for almost 30 years.) Is there another room in which to put it, or do you prefer to use this room for watching it?
    ...See More

New furniture-how do I arrange it?

Q

Comments (12)
    Another thing to consider is flipping the dining and living. This way you can take advantage of the larger space for seating and tuck away the dining in the more narrow area: You could probably scoot the seating even closer to the french door side to make a wider path on the tv side for circulation. Main pathways should be 36" wide (30" is bare minimum). http://kelseyleeinteriors.com/lately/2014/5/20/furniture-spacing-guidelines https://www.onekingslane.com/live-love-home/rug-guide-how-to-choose-the-right-size-rug/
    ...See More

How on earth do I arrange furniture in this living room??

Q

Comments (1)
    So here’s what I came up with. Two things to take note of: 1. I painted three walls with a darker color. Visually, this will trick your eye to think the walls are connected so to speak and become one wall. 2. The wall of drapes. If you can do this, it hides that little section of wall between the windows and makes that seem like it’s one big wall. You will want to put tv on an articulating arm so you can pull it out and angle it toward the sectional.
    ...See More
  • annzgw
    13 years ago

The drapes are probably new, but I'd put the rod higher (and a heavier rod) and use 4 straight panels vs the two pulled back.

I'd also add an area rug. I agree with larke that a taller table is needed between the windows.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I agree about putting the drapes higher. I like to have panels on the side because I think it fills the space better but that's really a personal preference. I would consider changing them to a different color so that it makes the room a bit more interesting.
    The sectional is placed well but all the matchy furniture makes it bland. I would consider getting a different coffee table. Your room needs some prints so I would look into incorporating prints perhaps in an area rug or in some pillows and art.
    I would think about angling a chair by the bookcase and adding a small table to act like a reading nook. A floor lamp would be lovely and useful if someone wants to read there. There is a problem where all the furniture appears to sit along the wall and adding a reading nook will break that up.
    The color change by the front door is awkward and by placing the drapery to the ceiling, you will hopefully create a better transition area.

• les917
    13 years ago

Could we see a couple more pix, say one from the front door and one from in between the front windows?

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now that you mentioned it I am seeing where the sofa table looks quite small in proportion to the windows and the space. There is a TV on that small table where the flowers are. There are two large vertical calla lilies pics on either side of the table (they are black and white photos in silver frame). Those should probably be taken down because they don't have any color or interest.

My DH has been wanting to do a photo gallery of our family, maybe I will do that on the two walls over the sofa. Both of the walls the sofa is on are blank right now. Would two walls of family pics be too much?

He also loves the paint color on the wall so I have to work with that color for now.

I've been so scared to mix patterns and textures, I just need to do it. I'm going to start with drapes.

I love the reading nook idea!! Should I put the bookcase flat against the wall with the window or the other wall, then angle the chair in front of it? I already have a floor lamp.

If I do the reading nook, should I just get a taller table to go between the windows? What other piece would look good there?

htnspz--I hate that hard transition from the foyer to the living room. Any ideas on how I could make that a better look? I'm planning on painting the foyer a yellow w/ white wainscoting. My one hold-up is deciding how to soften the hard transition.

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's what I did trying to do the reading nook and a few other angles.

• les917
    13 years ago

Thanks for the extra pix.

The first thing I would do is move the sectional to the wall that you see from the foyer, the one with the tv now. The seating in its current position looks crammed into the corner, and isn’t welcoming people in to the space.

I would use the wall behind the couch for the photo gallery, which would again be an interesting and welcoming view from the foyer. Also think about adding a pair of wall-mounted lamps, plug in style so that they don’t have to be wired in the wall, to bring some much needed light to that side of the room.

bronze truffle plug-in lamp

I am wondering if the finish on the bookcase and the sofa table are the same? If so, I would place them side by side on the wall that used to be behind the sectional. Place the chair angled on the end of the wall closest to the foyer. Then the sofa table, with the tv on the top shelf, and immediately to the left of that, down toward the corner, the tall bookcase. Place the floor lamp next to the chair for light on that side of the space.

Put the ottoman against the short wall that faces the front windows to the right of the wall where the tv now stands. That gives you extra seating, and breaks up the monotone look of the sectional area. Hang the two calla pix on that wall.

The drapery would be more effective in two panels per window, with the rod heavier and dark to compliment the furniture. WIden the rod a bit so that the panels hang outside the windows more, to balance the empty wall space between them. A drapery that has some pattern would do much more for the room than the cream, imo. Perhaps something like this?

grommet twill paisley, in the khaki colorway

Once you widen the panels, I think the single framed piece could stay between the windows, but it needs to come down a bit.

The small table that held the tv could be an end table at the end of the sectional where the arm is located (that will be near the dining room end of the long wall).

Finally, I would think about a round coffee table to replace the ottoman. Something in glass and iron would be nice.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

After seeing the pics, and the view into the room from the entryway I do have to agree that it would be best to move the sectional. The area didn't appear that large from the earlier pics. It's not a pretty view to walk and have the tv be one of the first things you see in the room.
    To make a smoother transition from the entryway, you could place the drapery to the ceiling and then use that as the boundary to separate the entry from the living area. The drapery Les posted would be pretty and would work because it appears to have both colors in the pattern.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

btw, while you are flipping the sides, you can still add a reading nook into the corner where the sectional is right now.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

I agree with annz - but I also think that a drape with texture, and more color/pattern would help too.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

I would move the furniture as Les suggested. Probably why you hate the hard transition from entry into this room is because presently you're faced with the edge of the sectional and the tv is the first thing you see. Not very welcoming! If the furniture were moved as Les suggested, it would be more welcoming and warm.

Pattern needs to be in the room, and the patterned WT Les suggested were also elemental. She's a genius with this type of decorating dilemma and always has an eye for what works.

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay--Here is part 1 of the change. The wall wasn't big enough for the sofa table and the bookcase. Does it look okay where it is? Can I still try to put a chair over there or will it be too much? The wall with the windows looks bare now. I guess it's because I was so used to the set up.

Definitely getting new drapes and love the wall lamp idea. It is sooo dark in that room and there is no overhead lighting.

I dont think I want a TV in this room, we have a family room with one. We'll see what DH says.

What do you think? Anything I need to change?

The little people were helping too!!

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have one more floor lamp that has to go in this room, where?!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Is it possible to put the bookcase between the two windows, as previously suggested? I like the new location of the sectional.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

It's looking really good so far. I think the art between the two windows should be larger or another one underneath it. Also the area where we see the darling girl in pink needs wall interest too. As to the standing lamp, I'll leave that to others. You're doing great!!!!

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!!

The two calla lily pictures are moving to the other side of the room. I also may be putting a TV on the sofa table. DH just asked where the TV is going...lol!! I'm going to do a family photo gallery over the sofa.

Going to try to move the bookcase. My husband has it secured to the wall so it won't topple on the girls.

• ctlane
    13 years ago

It looks great so far. A much nicer view when you enter the front door. The bookcase could also go where you have the ottoman now.

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bookcase moved around.

I moved the chair over until it fit. It is hanging a little in the walkway as you come in the foyer. Is that okay?

Moved on the side wall.

Between the windows and I added the end table.

I'm not sure if I like the end table there. I kinda liked the space behind the sofa to do something else, what I have no clue :) What do you think?

Where should the bookcase go?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

IMO bookcase looks exactly right between the two windows. You are making an extremely nice transition.

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

walnutcreek--thanks!! I'm super excited about the changes already. I'm leaning toward the bookcase being between the windows. Something definitely has to go in that space.

• User
    13 years ago

I like the new changes. I like the bookcase between the window. Looks like a good fit. Also like the idea for new curtains.

Does your room feel more cozy? :) Lookin good!

• kathleenca
    13 years ago

les917, I always enjoy your remarks on room arrangements & design. Thanks for your great eye & knowledge.

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thx sheesharee...It is cozy. I went to jcp today to get the drapes, but didn't have them so had to order online. :( At least free shipping!

My sentiments exactly kathleenca.

Les917-- you are the best and I love my room already. I feel like you need to send me a bill so I can pay you for your consultation. :)

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

legacyb2, you've been busy today! Your hard work is paying off! I'm going to toss out a few more ideas for you to consider if any appeal to you.

The bookcase works best between the windows. Don't forget to secure it again. I'd try pulling the sofa away from the rear wall by about 8" or so and placing the ottoman as a coffee table again. If you have another chair from a different room to try out in the living rm, I think I'd like to see it slightly angled from the corner toward the other chair to make a nice conversational group. If you don't have a suitable chair, try a dining rm chair to see if adding a chair appeals to you. I love plants, but you really don't need to fill every spot, so relocate the small planter in the corner. It doesn't really add to your decor as much as a tall plant would if you want a plant. OTH, sometimes it's better to keep an area open to maintain a sense of proportion and flow than try to just fill spaces. Don't be afraid of an empty spot.

If you can place the calla lily B & W prints in another room, look for either a rectangular horizontal print or a grouping of square prints above the sofa. Try art.com or grandpasart.com for some ideas. I'd prefer family photo galleries in other areas like halls, bedrooms or even perhaps a family room.

Your end table is a bit large and heavy, but at some point you can get a round glass end table and place a lamp on it for more lighting. Although I don't usually recommend symmetry, try centering your sofa table and placing your other torchiere on the other side. A round mirror above the sofa table might be a nice touch. Try your vase with calla lilies on the sofa table. If you have upscale consignment shops in your area, you might find good buys there or at goodwill, etc. Some like mythreedogs have lots of luck with ebay, but you really have to be patient and have a good eye for quality since you don't have a chance to see and feel what you're buying. Take your time when making any purchases as your beautiful little helpers are priority #1, and I know how it's tempting but not always wise to try to do everything at once.

The last shots of your curtains look much better. If you hadn't already ordered new ones, I'd have suggested adding some rattan shades underneath your existing drapes for color, texture and privacy. I can't tell how busy the ones you ordered may be, but woven shades may still work. Finally, if you'd enjoy even more color and texture, you can try an area rug, but be careful adding art and color as you want to maintain the more sophisticated feeling of your living rm furniture as opposed to the vibe from the DR border.

To help soften the transition from the foyer to the living room, use a soft color as the current white seems too stark against the green. The wall opposite the front door seems to have another dark door but can't tell what else is going on in the foyer, so it's hard to suggest a good color or tell whether wainscoting will work or be too much.

Congratulations on making your home feel more like you want!

• les917
    13 years ago

YOu have been working hard - how are you feeling about the changes?

I would not put the bookcase between the windows. Three tall rectangles in a row is what you end up with. Instead, put the console table back between the windows. Add a lamp on one end, and hang the small piece of art there. A round mirror would be something to consider there in the future.

Put the bookcase back on the longer wall where the sectional used to be, and where you had it earlier in the transformation. Then right next to it put your small table (which you said you don’t like at the end of the sectional anyway) for the tv stand.

Keep the chair on the right end of that wall, but now you should have enough room for it to sit all the way inside the wall space, not hanging out. Put the wall lamp beside the chair, on the wall side.

Put the two calla pix on the end wall that faces the windows, hung closely together, and put the ottoman underneath.

Consider looking for an inexpensive round wicker or rattan table for a coffeetable. It will add some new texture and some curves to the room. Check things like Craigslist for outdoor furniture, and don’t be afraid to cut down the height of a standard table if it will work. You may be able to find something relatively inexpensive. Maybe even paint it red!

Then hang your pix collection over the sectional, and add the wall lamps.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Love the ideas Les suggested also and the drapes looks great like that. Ditto adding wood blinds for color and texture.

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You all will get a kick out of this...I sure did.

Yesterday I changed all the furniture around while my hubby was upstairs. He freaked when he came downstairs, he said "I don't like change" as he plopped down on the newly moved sofa. I replied, "change is good and you should be super happy because this change was FREE!!" He didn't like the room.

Today, I'm doing coupons in the dining room and DH sits on the sofa and says, "I have a confession." I'm rolling my eyes thinking what has he done now...lol.."what?!"

He says, "I like the chair where it is and the sofa looks good here. I can see the front door while sitting here and it looks more inviting." --oh really, thanks babe--I said don't get comfortable cause I might have to tweak some things. Then he starts giving his input, put this here and that here, don't do that, etc. He's an interior designer now... Gotta love him!!

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

abundantblessing--thanks for your input and suggestions. I so needed to hear that I don't have to do it all NOW! I stress about that occasionally. As for the chair, the girls wanted their chair in there so we have a new furniture piece.

I like the idea of the rattan blinds, especially w/ the wicker coffee table suggested by les917. However, hanging blinds have been difficult for us since we have new replacement windows. We can't hang them inside the window.

Updating my foyer was my first post for help about a week ago. Below is the link to the pics. It was a little overwhelming for me when I consider the cost.

Okay, I moved the bookcase back to the corner. Here's a pic of me on the sofa. I actually like the TV on the sofa table, we used to have it on the end table and it was lower.

LES--Before I break up that whole wall with a table between the windows, is there something else that could be done in that space all the way to the wall? It is 39 inches wide from the wall to the sofa.

I love the red coffee table idea and craigslist just as much. Red is my color. My family room is red leather, and my kitchen has red in it too (the border). Do you think red in every room is too much?

Last thing, I hope, my DH mentioned about making this a world travel themed room. We have traveled to several countries and within the family wall gallery there will pics of where we have gone. Do you think something like that could be done, and not be tacky, when considering by dining room has the fruit/vine theme? To accomplish this , I would do away with calla lilies and pillows on the sofa. Then, add pieces like a globe, I have seen pillows that have postcard stamps, etc. He even has money from all the different countries (not sure how that could be tied in). Since most of our destinations have been tropical, I am thinking the rattan and wicker would bring an element of our travel too. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Entryway photos

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

I missed your foyer post, so thanks for linking. You've gotten some good recommendations. Since WendyB' provided you with great pix of a very similar renovation, you can easily see what a difference painting the doors and trim and adding a brighter lower half will make in your home. I'd do easy picture frame molding and paint the entire section below the chair rail a good off-white. So glad DH is now convinced it will make a world of difference. Definitely the way to go. Once that portion is complete, then you can focus on a upper wall color, but definitely get samples as orange just seems wrong if you keep your LR color. Try Pittsburh Paints Manor Hall paint for your walls. I've used both Aura and Manor Hall, and was a fan of Aura until I tried MH. It's less expensive but wears as well as Aura while having a better (more elegant matte/flat) sheen. Ask when PP will run another sale as then you can really save.

Sorry, Les often provides great advice, but this time I'm not in agreement. Placing the bookcase in the corner or even where the ottoman currently is simply does not work IMO. It's too narrow of a unit to put on the ottoman wall and too cramped and out of balance in the corner. Yes, Les' point about the 3 large rectangles is a consideration, but working with what you have on hand trumps that rule. Plus, the bookcase will look different once decorated. Study some pix of accessorized shelves and consider even Sheesharee's entertainment thread where she added painted board to the back of the bookshelves. My mother would add (and change) wallpaper to the rear of her gorgeous antique glass front cases. My DH and I have books in many rooms, and while I like accessorized and colorful shelves, our wall to wall bookcases aren't enough to hold all our books as it is so ours are a bit more utilitarian than optimal, but we have lots of art to compensate.

I'd really like to see a pix with the bookcase between the windows again, the ottoman as the coffee table until you get something else, and your sofa pulled away from both walls. You could add a reddish tray on top of the ottoman if you find the right tone or add a small red vase to a wicker tray. You definitely don't need a wide walkway along the window wall and need to make better use of the full living room dimensions. Your sofa and end table are too jammed into the corner. As it is now with the sofa aligning almost with the wall behind the chair, it feels like you have an extension of the entry walkway but leading to nowhere. Leave an inch or two between the sofa and the end table, then think of your end table as part of the sofa dimensions and center the whole on the wall. Giving some space around your furniture will help open up your room.

TV on the sofa table works since you have to accommodate DH's desire for a tv in the LR. Better height and scale than when it was on the end table. I'd try to tape the cords to the table leg. Place a large round piece (sculpture, tray, bowl with shells, etc) on the shelf below the tv as the room has only hard shapes right now.

I'd not go with stamp pillows, etc. if you decide to add shots from your vacations. A lighted globe on a bookshelf is as far as I'd go since your girls will be able to use it to learn how they fit in the world. Still, I hope you at least check-out grampasart.com or the collectionshop.com as those sites (among others) have affordable prints of master artists in addition to $$$ signed lithographs and $$ giclees. As with most things, you might have to sort through some stereotypical popular junk, but some treasures are included. Just Lookin' Gallery is another on-line source, but it may specialize in originals. If you find you have an interest in art, as with any purchase, my advice is to buy the best you can afford and acquire slowly. One good piece, whether art or furniture or clothing, will provide better value and is likely a greener choice than several cheap and/or disposable items. Found art, CL, Goodwill, whatever the source, this rule still applies. Another option is to stretch a canvas and paint something yourself! Abstracts are easy if you don't unearth a hidden talent, but who knows what inner creative vein may be lurking.

You could keep your existing pillows even if you put up your trip photos. A little bit of a theme goes a very long way IMO, but I don't live in your home. As always, YMMV so do what makes you and DH happy.

• teacats
    13 years ago

-A quick vote for the bookcase to stand between the windows.

-A vote for the ottoman to go back to the sofa as the coffee table.

-Another vote for the TV to stay on the console table -- but try to find something (a black-painted corner cabinet or stand) that would allow the TV to be angled across the corner -- to allow for better viewing. IF you do find "something" to hold the TV -- then slide the console table behind the sofa.

-IF the console table goes back behind the sofa -- THEN find a container that will fit under it to hold toys. Add a lamp on top. OR perhaps add a couple of wicker trunks or even large containers to hold toys and "stuff" -- always handy!

-Yes -- do bring in red accents -- it is a strong visual color with lots of "weight" -- so it REALLY works when you move it around a whole area ....perhaps start with red cushions on the sofa and a throw .... then add some artworks (maybe a grouping of four smaller ones?) that could go on both sides of the walls above the TV?

• les917
    13 years ago

I think the sectional reads much better in the space if it is brought over to the left so that there is no gap between the front window and the back of the sectional. The runway effect that you have when it is pushed to the right is really useless space, and looks like you moved it to clean and just haven’t moved it back.

It is your space, but I stand firm on NOT using the bookcase between the windows - again, too similar in shape and height to the windows. Much more effective to have a lower piece there to give movement and interest. Plus when you add the new drapery panels and hang them out a little wider, it really will feel like nothing but tall rectangles on that wall.

I don’t like the ottoman in the center of the sectional as it is - it feels like a sea of beige, and like a piece broke off of the whole thing and is floating loose. If you want to use it for now as a coffee table, consider draping a soft red throw or fabric runner over it, to break up the beige.

The bookcase on the other wall, near the corner, balances some of the window height from the other side of the room, and also feels anchored there. Just be sure that the sofa table is up against the bookcase, so that it feels like a unit. You could move the chair away from that wall (and the lamp, of course) and slide the console and bookcase to the right a few inches.

Then put the chair, end table and floor lamp on the short wall that faces the front windows.

I think the idea of adding some of your travel photos is great, and perhaps a globe on a stand could be the item on the wall between the windows. But I would be careful about overdoing or getting ‘theme-y’ about it.

• User
    13 years ago

I understand Les917's point about the multiple rectangles if bookcase is between windows, but I just think the bookcase does not look right next to console table. Looks to me like a furniture store where everything is pushed up together to make room. They are not a unit and putting them next to each other does not make them look like a unit, IMO. I think it looked much better between the windows.

The TV looks much better on the console. I would do as Les suggested and move the chair and light to the short wall facing the front windows. Put the ottomon back as the coffee table until you can find something you like better (but, I'd spend the $$ on paint, molding for wainscoting and new light fixtures for the foyer).

The room is really starting to look great. These changes, and the changes you will hopefully make to the foyer will really update the space! And good for your DH for accepting change when it's not easy for him :-)

Keep going!

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

alrighty DH likes bookcase between the windows better and the majority is voting for between the windows. So, for now, bookcase is going back between the windows.

Red accents are a must. I like the idea of doing something to the back of the bookcase, like a red paisley print, but I don't want it to be permanent. I have a few red things from my family room perhaps I could rotate them into this room for a change.

I found an awesome Pier 1 wicker table on Craigslist. It's table height and metal legs so I'm not sure I'll be able to cut it down to coffee table height.

I'll move the sofa back to the center of the wall.

I'll post pics in a few. Spent the past 24 hours painting our rental property (and wishing it was my foyer) :(

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just got home and entertaining in 2 hours. I changed the bookcase, the sofa, added end table back, & moved ottoman (although will move it to the wall for tonight, need it for seating).

Now the two walls look bare, but I guess once I move the pics around it will look better. Won't be able to do that tonight. Is the TV too tall to put something on that wall?

I did add a little ottoman from my den w/ red in it for seating tonight too.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Looks great!

If you get a chance -- slide the console table along to the left-- and move the TV to the left-- and angle it slightly so folks on the sofa can see it.

Then add a slightly larger red vase to the right-hand side of the console. If you have more of the pretty green baskets (seen in the photo by the front door) add them to the bottom of the console table.

By moving the console table along to the left-- you can move the chair a bit to the left too -- and angle it towards the sofa for easy conversation. Shift the standing lamp to the left-hand side of the chair -- just so no one knocks it when they come around the corner ..... :)

• les917
    13 years ago

I am glad you are having fun, and enjoying the changes you have made. I love that your DH has become interested, and the little ones as well! In the end, decorating is really about making your house a home that you love.

I am still not happy with the bookcase between the windows - I think the wall feels heavy, and walking in from the foyer, you walk into the side of the bookcase. But what is important is that YOU are happy, and often things feel different in real life from how they appear on our monitors.

What I would change, tho, is the arrangement on the other wall. I would pull the console and tv over to the right, but keep them a couple of inches inside the edge of the wall. Move the chair to the corner, angled, with the lamp behind it. It will tuck nicely there, (tho don't bury it deep in the corner, leave it pulled out a little) rather than sticking out over the end of the wall as it does now. Plus, if you were to put the fun round ottoman between that chair the cute kid's chair, it would make a nice connection between the colors, and act almost like a side table.

Of course, once you start moving art, adding lighting, etc. the room will feel more finished. But I think you have already created a warmer, more welcoming, more open space to enjoy!

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a dilemma, the longest length of the drapes the Les suggested in the khaki is 84". That is the length I have up now but several said to get longer ones and hang them higher.

Should I go with the 84" or should I try to find something different to get the effect that was recommended?

• htnspz
    13 years ago

Go with taller drapes, it will help with the transition from entry to living area. I do think the entry should change at least to the cream color to make it look more finished.
    I agree with others who said to move the bookcase, it truly is unwelcoming to walk into the side of a bookcase. You have a blank wall that it would be a better fit for now.
    I'm wondering if the side chair would look better in the corner with the lamp.
    I love all the other changes you made though!!

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Lookin' good! Did you try the ottoman near your daughters' chair? Although that may be inviting trouble as one will claim the chair and the other the ottoman. LOL! If you can spare it from the family room, it works well in your living room. Also, a minor tweak if you don't mind more suggestions: halving the lilies looks sparse to me, you had a nice spiral going with the dozen.

Hmmm, love the grommet look and the thicker rods, but can't tell whether the khaki tones will harmonize with your chair and other colors. Also, not sure if you have much more than 12" above where the current drapes are. If you look at the JCP image, there's likely several inches above the raised rod. You could hang floor to ceiling, I suppose, and even then be able to place rattan rollups just above the window. So if you want to change from the cream, you could try the 84" but will need to get a beefier rod and must be able to return if the palette is off, wait for another possibility and try floor to ceiling with new rod, or just focus on higher impact from the foyer changes.

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Been playing again today. I changed the chair to the corner. Not sure that I like it. Your thoughts? DH said looks exactly the same as we started just another corner. But, I was wondering how it would look to move the bookcase beside the chair to make the reading nook effect that I like.

abundant--can't spare the little ottoman because the girls actually use them as chairs in the playroom. I have two of them. Just wait until we makeover that room...lol!!

Also for fun, I brought in my red ottoman to see what it would look like.

I did bring in the fuller calla arrangement. I tried it beside the TV and on the end table. I do want the larger red vase that was suggested for the console eventually.

• User
    13 years ago

I think it is looking great. I like the chair much better where you have it now. Doesn't look like it's falling out of the room like it did before :-)

I would try the bookcase to the left of the chair on that wall that faces the windows, if there is room there.

• User
    13 years ago

I tried to post the other day but I got stuck in the log-in revolving door. My sil's living room is like yours and she had trouble arranging it too until she got new furniture and a professional consult. Now she has her sofa & loveseat on the wall where you have the chair and tv in the last picture - with a coffee table. Her chairs back up to the dining room with a table between them, and she has the tv on the wall between the two windows. She also has a fireplace on the wall adjacent to the two windows, so that limited her options.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

Moving the bookcase would make it a wonderful reading nook. I definitely think the chair looks better and the room has filled out quite nicely. Now, just get some art for above the chair and you're almost done!

• legacybuilder2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I got red happy today!!

What do you think about about the artwork? Maybe add some scones on either side? Is it too much red with the vases and bowls?

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I glanced at this thread when you first posted, but didn't comment, because (trust me on this) you don't want my furniture arranging input! I have to say, the latest pics you've posted are just so much better than what you started with, it doesn't even look like the same room! I'm loving the new arrangement, and the accessories are just looking really great! You've gotten a lot of great input, and the whole room is really looking wonderful! Good for you!