False goatsbeard and squwflower.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Does anyone know where to get seeds or plants of these 2 species?The false goatsbeard is our only native astilbe and the squawflower is a composite named packera formerly senecio.I'm in zone 5 and both of these are hardy even further north than me;but none of the native plant nurseries in my area carry it.

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

I wonder if Prairie Moon might not have the Packera. Too busy right now to check, but it might be worth a look, if you haven't already.

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

Do you know which Packera species you're talking about? I've seen both Packera aurea and Packera obovata at native nurseries, both of which are sometimes called squaw weed.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, it's packera obovata.Sorry for the confusion.I didn't know there were more packets these name changes are making me dizzy.I will have to buy a new book with plant names,but it could be years before DNA testing is finished.The obovata looks like it would be a good ground cover and the yellow flowers on stalks in spring would be an added bonus.

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

Some of the Packeras are hard to tell apart, especially since they hybridize in the wild. I bought three Packera plants from one of our local native nurseries. I remember buying P. aurea, but only one of them is clearly identifiable as that. One of them looks much more like P. obovata, and the third one is somewhere in between the two. The nursery I bought them from sells both.

Both of those Packeras spread rapidly in the right conditions from what I've heard. It's a plant that some people hate for that reason. Too early to tell with mine.

In any case, I've looked around a bit online to see if I could find either. The sources I usually use are sold out of plants for the season. You might have better luck in September. Or maybe just seed them?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Prairie Moon doesn't have seeds or plants of either.I have scoured the web and searched native nurseries in states where they grow and I can't even obtain seeds.I'll keep searching no matter how long it takes.I don't mind if the squawflower is slightly invasive in the rhizomes I want it to fill in a space,but I will probably deadhead them so they won't be a complete nightmare.I'm curious as to why these plants aren't offered more,I haven't heard anything bad about the False Goatsbeard other than it's a lot bigger than the neat,compact Asian invaders most people gravitate to.I have quite a few natives that are too numerous to mention, I would be willing to trade seeds or should I do that on the seeds savers exchange ? I don't see much native seeds being traded there but I will give it a shot.

Save    
kitasei(6b lower Hudson Valley, NY)

check out the Sample Seeds Shop in upstate NY. http://www.sampleseeds.com/ I got false goatsbeard seeds from them, along with many others, and had a very high germination rate.

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

You can get Packera seeds (both obovata and aurea) from Missouri Wildflowers. It's an excellent native plant nursery and where I get most of my plants since they do sales a few times a year in Kansas City.

Izel has the false goatsbeard although you would need to buy a minumum of seven. They ship plants bare-rooted and packed in sphagnum moss. I've just ordered from them once and found that some of the plants didn't survive transplanting, so unless you are a more careful grower than I am it might be good to order extras. I probably would have had better success planting them in pots first and then transplanting them in the early fall or even waiting until next spring.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Thanks for the info WoodsTea.I ordered a packet of packera seeds from Missouri Wildflowers.I think I'll plant them in the fall after I prepare the bed.I also ordered 7 false goatsbeard plants from Izel.I never knew about them and a minimum order is 7 plants so I'll have 7 chances to grow it right.Next!

1 Like Save    
kitasei(6b lower Hudson Valley, NY)

FYI I wintersowed my seeds and they are just emerging now.. Be prepared to be patient!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Thanks for the heads up.

Save    
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

I found a few S aureus growing in a ditch a few years ago and transplanted one to my garden. The rich golden color was spectacular and was a butterfly agnet. It did not survive over winter for some reason, and the seeds I collected never germinated. I have another wild Senecio blooming on my property right now but it is nothing compared to the S aureus.

I'm glad to see that the seed is for sale.

Save