SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam_standhart

St Augustine/Palmetto in AZ, bluish/whitish/grayish tint, yellowing

Pam Standhart
7 years ago

Hi. We put down our St Augustine/Palmetto sod almost 3 weeks ago. The first week we were watering 3 times per day for 15 minutes. Second week we did 4 times per day for 5 minutes. The water probe showed the roots were moist/wet, but the grass itself didn't look like it was thriving; kept watering. I have been reading the forum posts about St Augustine and fungi. I put down corn meal today but all I could find was the grocery store type. Called 8 feed and nurseries and no one had any. One had CGM only. Now the grass is bluish/grayish/whitish tint in large places, yellow in others. Their is a part that is so yellow that it crunches under my feet but the probe shows the soil is moist. Pretty sure we watered too much but need help in correcting this. 1,000 sq ft of sod, Mesa AZ. Thanks. Here are some pics

Comments (11)

• Pam Standhart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Pam Standhart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Pam Standhart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Pam Standhart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Pam Standhart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What will the rooting hormone powder and the kelp fertilizer do? I am noticing some more dry yellow patches. Actually broke my water probe trying to get it into the yellowing grass. and that grayish thatchy looking grass like in picture 2 is still around. have cut way back on watering but now Phoenix is going through 110 temperatures so I don't want to cut back too much.

• reeljake
    7 years ago

It should encourage the grass to root. St. Aug only spreads above ground, so a quarter inch of quality compost on all the bad spots will make a big difference--It needs something to grow into. It's super tough stuff once established, but you need to encourage rooting right now. Making it spread above ground will create more roots faster & you can level it all back out later if needed

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

How was the soil prepared for the sod?

How would you characterize the soil? Is it hard all the time even when wet? Sandy? Does water soak in quickly or stand on top for awhile?

That looks like a fungal disease to me. Give the corn meal 3 weeks to show improvement.

You have to stop the frequent watering and start with deep watering, but if your soil will not absorb deep watering, then start with an application of shampoo to allow better penetration. Spray any clear shampoo (I like generic baby shampoo) at a rate of 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet. Follow that with 1/2 to 1 inch of water. If you get runoff or standing water before you get at least 1/2 inch, then stop and wait 15 minutes for the water to soak in. Then resume/repeat until you get the 1/2 inch. You can measure 1/2 inch by placing cat food or tuna cans around the yard. Time how long it takes to fill the cans half way. Or for a full inch, time how long it takes to fill the cans. 1 inch is what you should be watering every time you water. With temps in the 110s, that should be once every 5 days. I know this works because we've been promoting it for 10 years on this forum. Also a friend of mine in Gilbert, AZ is doing it with his St Augustine.

• Pam Standhart
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, the corn meal (store bought, all I could find) has been down for almost 2 weeks. I know the birds ate some of it. We prepared the soil with tilling, pulling out all the old grass remnants and working in gypsum and mulch. Then leveled it and lightly watered it before installing sod.

Should we do the compost and rooting hormon like reeljake says first and then the shampoo or start with the shampoo first? The edges of the sod are quite dry and hard. I broke my soil moisture meter trying to insert it.

• reeljake
    7 years ago

Do all of them, shampoo is a great first step

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

I believe Winco has 25 pound bags of corn meal.