SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691928

Free Amaryllis Bulbs!

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I love it when people move and leave their plants! There was a man down the way who I gave an amaryllis bulb to, and he said I could have one of his after they bloomed. They are beautiful flowers, red with a huge white star in the middle like the picture below. So I went today to ask him for one, and he has moved! He took a lot of his with him, but left a ring of them he had planted out in the lawn around an old tree stump, so I went dug those up. Got 6 nice large bulbs. Would have had nine, but I chopped three in half with the shovel because there wasn't a lot of room to dig around the stump. If my experience holds true, the end with the roots wil send up new bulblets and maybe even a plant. I laid the cut ones to the side, because I've had amaryllis send out roots from cut bulbs before. I was going to go back and dig more, but I'll leave the ones around the apartment for the next tenant. Six is enough. I cut them back and put them into a big pot I just pulled a tomato out of. I'll baby them a little before I plant them out, since they hadn't been watered in a long time. This is sort of what they look like, much more striking than the red ones I have.

Comments (2)