SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabitha_benson

Real estate agent is such a liar!

Tabitha Benson
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I was interested in a waterfront property in Florida. I called the real estate agent and told her the property was priced out of the range we were willing to pay but to just keep our info and call if the buyer ever decides to come down. So she starts trying to hard sell me. She basically lied continually. I know she was lying because I was clicking on the county website for property information as she was talking to me. Like she told me that the seller just sold the adjoining property with no problems for a great price. (He is asking $100,000 for the piece I am looking at.) I told her, no, he sold the adjoining property for $30,000 in 2003. Then she told me that the property on the other side is selling for $160,000. I said, how do you know that? She said well she isn't sure. I said it was listed for that more than a year ago then they dropped the price to $145,000 for many months but it still hasn't sold and they delisted it without any sale.
So then she asks me what price we would like to buy the property for. I told her, "A lot on the same canal that already has a seawall just sold for $42,000. This lot does not have a seawall and has very heavy erosion. The sea wall might have to be built pretty far into the lot from where the original land was because of the erosion so we are concerned about that. Legally, we might not be allowed to even attempt to reclaim the lost amount of land that has eroded. Clearly, the lot does not have the value of the lot that just sold."
Then she says, "Oh, no you can definitely build back out because the county engineer caused the erosion."
I said, "How did the county engineer cause the erosion?" To which she vaguely answered, "Well, it has something to do with when they put in a bridge when they built a road farther down the bay." So I ask, "So the homeowner has already gotten the county to admit fault and officially say he can build the lost land back out?" She says, "No, but it would be easy to do." LOL. Is she an idiot or does she think I am an idiot? Yeah, getting a government entity to admit fault is never a problem, right?
At this point, I am just disgusted with this woman. I said, "So for over twice the selling price of a neighboring property that already has a seawall, I am supposed to buy this seriously eroded property, build a seawall, and get the county to admit fault which may possibly include years of legal battles and lawyer fees?" She says, "No, it won't be a problem to prove the county caused it." I almost laughed out loud. So then I said, "Well, if it is that easy why hasn't the owner gone and done that so he can sell the property without any question marks hanging over it?" She then tells me, "Well, we have a housing contractor from Texas who is very interested in this property and who is going to be making an offer this week. I already faxed him relevant information about it and he doesn't think it is any problem at all. So I said, "Well, great for the seller. I wish him luck."
Funny but I had talked to the seller ten minutes before. He did not say anybody was making an offer. Instead he repeatedly asked me to call the real estate agent, each time saying how really "happy" she would be to get a call. I pretty much doubt there is some developer from Texas who is eager to buy this $100,000 mess when directly across the canal, somebody is asking (not getting by the way) $74,000 for an equal sized lot that has no erosion and a lot with a seawall and no problems just sold for $42,000.
Am I cruel for hoping that the next real estate bust happens soon and hits all these price gougers? I mean come on, this guy bought this property for $8000 and now he wants $100,000 and he let it erode in that time because he never bothered to put in a seawall as he admits. All the responsible owners along that canal all put in seawalls!!!! Oh, and by the way, did I mention that this guy had this property previously listed with another agent but it did not sell so now he has given it to this real estate agent. Maybe he could try lowering the price instead of agent hopping!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH