SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andyhenson2014

Should I keep whole life insurance policy?

Andy Henson
7 years ago

I am a 36 year old male, non-smoker in relatively good shape. I am single (divorced) and have no kids. I don'the owe any alimony either. I currently have the following life insurance policy:

20 year Pay Whole life $25,000

20 year level term rider $225,000

The combined annual premium on these is around $715 per year, which I would only pay for 20 years since it's a "20 pay" policy. I should also mention that I get a life insurance benefit from my employer (2x my salary) for free with the option to buy extra coverage very cheap. This is only valid while I am employed.

I've heard Dave Ramsey and Suze Ormond talk about what a waste the whole life product is and they have some valid arguments. They recommend buying term and investing the premium difference.

So my questions...since I am single and don't have any dependents, should I cancel and cash in the whole life policy and the term rider and just stick with my employer's insurance for now? I figured I could invest the premium in something worthwhile like my 401k or a Roth IRA. If I was to die, my 401k would be more than enough to handle my funeral costs and remaining debt. Do I even need life insurance at all? Should I get some now while I'm still young-ish and in the "preferred" group?

Thanks for you help!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions