SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growlikeapro

My furnace fan shuts off the second the central air compresson does

Grow LikeAPro
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just had central air installed, and I noticed that the exact second the compressor shuts off, the furnace fan also shuts off. I'm 99% sure this is NOT correct. In the winter months, the furnace elements will turn off then the furnace fan may run a minute or 2 to force that last bit of hot air that was created by the furnace elements ( my furnace is an electric model ) ..... am I right in thinking this isn't right ? For fun, this morning I turned the fan to ON to force the fan to go back on after the compressor had stopped, and sure enough a lot more cold air came out of the furnace ducts. I'm also wondering if the furnace shutting off at that exact second the compressor does - can this damage the A-coil ? in the furnace ? ( freezing ? perhaps ) ?

Thank you. BTW, some background info - the model I have is a TRANE, 2.5 ton, 30,000 BTU and is a SINGLE stage model. I also notice that the new thermostat the company installed will sometimes go to a "stage-2".... when in fact it's only a single stage compressor which is very confusing.

Thanks for any help !

Comments (13)