SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seopee

Suggestions, Advice, Details to add before we order our IKEA Kitchen?

seopee
7 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing on the IKEA Kitchen Planner tool for the last week and wanted to get any feedback or helpful hints on anything we might consider putting in or changing before we place the order?

Mainly, I'm concerned about things we need 'to watch out for' when we're installing since we have the sink, dishwasher, and range all in a row and probably need to have solid supports or filler panels to make that work.

This is the first kitchen we've ever done, so I'm pretty sure we're overlooking a few things. Thanks so much in advance!!

(Just a note -- we were not expecting this kitchen reno, but termites in the kitchen pantry and a fastidious HOA led to opening everything else up. Thus, if you see any awkward appliance layout choices or ignorance of the stone-fire-water... rule, this is why :P. Unfortunately, I found those threads way later.)

SUMMARY

• Appliances are stuck where they are
  • We can't knock down any walls or change window configurations at this point
  • Please tell me if you'd make any changes to this plan :)

_____

• Functional Goal: Maximize storage and counter space
  • Aesthetic Goals: Minimalist / clean / bright is what we're hoping to achieve in the kitchen(it's a darker part of the house)
  • Cabinets: Veddinge w/ 2" Blankett Pulls (or maybe Ringhult but I prefer a matte finish)
  • Countertops: White Quartz, Walnut
  • Backsplash: White Subway or 2x8 of something else
  • Toekick: Grevsta Stainless? (just thinking of something unique/different along the bottom)

CONCERNS / NEED HELP WITH

• I dislike the microwave cabinet :/ but feel this is the best option (we switched the range to the north-side exterior wall in order to get a direct vent to the outside)
  • Doorway paths are a bit tight
  • Do we need filler panels between the dishwasher and range, or range and cabinetry? If so, how wide do these need to be?

LAYOUT DETAILS

• Narrow cabinet next to corner cab is a trash pull-out
  • We plan to add open shelving on the window-sink side around the hood
  • Left doorway: Dining/Sunroom
  • Bottom doorway: Bathroom
  • Right doorway: Hallway leading to bedrooms & living

Comments (24)