SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiascout

Calling all Calathea experts!

californiascout
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone!

I became the owner of a beautiful Calathea (Rattlesnake variety) a week and a half ago, and I think in that week and a half I've read every Calathea-related post on the internet!

My confusion mostly stems from:

a) reading conflicting information, and;

b) having just moved to San Francisco from Australia!

I don't yet know whether my city is considered humid, or what months are considered "planting season" which is really throwing me!

I was hoping any experienced Calathea owners could clear up a couple of questions for me. I haven't yet had to water my plant at all - (the top inches of the soil are still moist). It came to me with a couple of curling, closer-to-yellow-than-green leaves and a couple of small yellow leaves around the bottom. I've placed in it a north-facing, frosted window with blinds, and in this time the larger leaves have quickly turned vibrant and green like the rest of them and are starting to uncurl, I've noticed a new leaf curled up like a straw, starting to open, and the small leaves are still mostly yellow and are now beginning to dry out.

Now I've read that yellow leaves could be from getting too much water, not enough water, or just be baby leaves. I'm wondering if the nursery had overwatered due to the soil still being moist after over a week when we are approaching Summer. Is this the most likely conclusion? Is there any way those leaves will recover, or should I snip them straight off? If so, should I snip these from the MAIN stem, or just the individual stem the leaf has sprouted from?

To correct whatever damage has been done before the plant reached me, I want to ensure I get this right from the start. I understand I shouldn't water until the top couple of inches of the soil seem dry - does this vary from plant to plant or should I be watering on a schedule of any kind? And I've also read today that these plants love to be misted - how often should I be doing this?

Thank you so much for any help you can give!
Em

Yellow leaves

Calathea a few days ago!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012