SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phil_mitchelson

Secret 60x5 ft room discovered - what to do?

8 years ago

Hello everyone - random one for a Friday…

I live in an end of terrace flat in a period property in London, owning the basement and ground floor. I have had an amazing discovery. I moved in a few months ago, and my solicitor sent me a note to say check the wall in the basement (currently my lounge) as the land registry plans are different to my current floor plan

I have discovered two 30ftx5ft under pavement vaults ( used to store coal etc back in early 1900s) that are connected to the lounge, the door of which was bricked/plastered over in the 1950s. - I am yet to break through, currently drilled a hole and put an endoscope through to explore..

but i expect it to look like this

http://www.stonehousebasements.co.uk/Pictures/Basements/VaultsCS2_1.jpg

I am now sitting on about a potential 300sq foot to create something amazing out of.
Couple of questions:

1) Has anyone any experience with the renovation of under pavement vaults? I know it needs damp proofing and a pump adding.

2) I need ideas of what on earth to do with all this space??

At current property prices the house is about £800 sqfoot, so if I half due to basement and no windows there is a potential £120,000 of value so i could put a decent budget into the creation.

Would love to be bombarded with ideas/thoughts if you have any

cheers

Comments (307)