SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_478845599

Family Room Addition Quote - $292/sq ft???

Travy Green
3 years ago

We are looking to do a 400 sq ft square basic family room addition: basement foundation, vaulted ceiling, one large window, carpet, connect to exist house by cutting through existing picture window and cutting through basement. No plumbing. No fireplace. No fancy crown molding. Extending existing duct work. Vinyl siding. Standard shingles. Pretty simple job. Most complicated part is the basement foundation. The quote came in at $292/sq ft or $118,000. I was floored. I was expecting $150/square foot tops. We live in northeast Ohio, where new home construction is going for about $125/square foot. Am I missing something? Does this really sound realistic? The room does butt up to a basement foundation along one side and a slab foundation along the other. If that is what is raising the quote, I could bump the basement foundation to start four feet away from the slab foundation for most of it. Not sure where to go from here. Thinking of consulting with an architect on how to ensure the plan is simple enough to accomplish what we want yet keep costs down and get a ballpark estimate of what it should cost before I put out for bid again. Do architects do this? Thanks for any help/advice/insight anyone can provide.

Comments (11)