SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asko_buyer

I Think I Have Made a Decision

asko_buyer
7 years ago

For the last few weeks I have been acquainting myself with what is currently available in terms of washers and dryers. The state of the laundry industry is different from when my DW and I decided to purchase a compact Asko washer/dryer pair over 11 years ago. It seemed like there were better choices back then.

In spite of their inherent engineering/reliability issues, I prefer front loaders to top loaders. I like that they are relatively gentle on clothes, and that many have internal heaters to stabilize warm and hot temperatures. Also, given increasingly-tight water restrictions in my area, along with increasing electricity rates, I don't think I want an old-fashioned top loader (a la Speed Queen).

As for front loaders, I absolutely do not understand why Whirlpool, Maytag, Frigidaire, and (most) Electrolux FL models have no access doors to the pump traps. Those brands are out of contention. I have had to clear the pump trap on our current FL washer often enough that I consider an access door to the pump trap an essential feature. As for European washers and dryers, I won't buy them unless they have 120V plugs for the washers rather than "piggy backed" 220V plugs that need to be plugged into the dryer (which is most of them). Also, most seem to have only condenser dryers rather than vented ones. That pretty much leaves us with GE, LG, and Samsung.

The washer/dryer pair that seems to best suit my needs (and my families') at this time (and those of my family) are the LG WM3570HVA washer / DLEX3570V dryer. In spite of the disdain a number of forum frequenters here have for LG, a number of people I know have LG washers and dryers and seem to like them. This pair has gotten a number of positive reviews. Right now, this model is on sale for 15% off, and the local utility and LG will give a total $150 rebate.

I have only two more days to buy at the sale price. I may very well chicken out by then. I will keep you guys posted on my decision.

Comments (19)