SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mousefoster

Help- the paved my driveway and they weren't supposed to

Abby F
7 years ago

So I had our courtyard paved (tar and chip) today after chasing our contractor for weeks to finish the job. This was one of the last big parts of our year long renovation.

II spent almost two hours with them in the morning making sure the layout was perfect, and that the grading was exactly right on the courtyard. They start laying the tar and chip and I go inside. Every once in a while I chat with the foreman for our general contractor . He is on site to manage the paving job and complete a few other punch list items around the exterior. The actual paving was done by a sub hired by the general contractor.

All seems to be going well, until I walk outside at the end of the day. They took the tar and chip all the way down our perfectly good asphalt driveway!! This is the same driveway I had already paid to have repaired (about a 10 ft section at the very bottom) last fall. FWIW, they should have finished the tar and chip last fall, but the job went over and they ran out of time.

I am sooooo mad- the drive is long and steep and we wanted to keep the asphalt to make it easier to plow. Plus I didn't want the upkeep of raking stones or paying to put in Belgian block edges all the way down the drive.

The plans were really clear, as was the contract for this work. I spoke to our architect and they basically said it can't be taken up at this point. What would you do? Live with it? Make the rip up the whole drive? So frustrated!

Comments (10)