SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Does Anyone Have Eclectic/Unusual Master Bedrooms?

I was looking at bedrooms on the internet and found myself to be bored silly by the traditional, cookie-cutter ones. When I googled "eclectic master bedrooms" I became much more excited because they had personality and color, and were much more individual. I tried to do something with my bedroom but, other than blowing it up and starting over, I didn't really have any innovative ideas. Mostly it was just schlepping in more drawings (some that my husband did), his acrylic duck painting and some prints, but it was all as boring as ever. I hung the huge lion print in the hall where it's hardly noticeable in its dark spot. So tired of it. Does anyone have bedrooms that are a little out of the ordinary? I'd love to see them.

Here are my poor efforts with mine:

Comments (61)

• User
    7 years ago

Mine is probably not unusual! It's very traditional.

A poster bed with a Bates bedspread and an old settee at the foot of the bed. Some of my needlepoint pillows are on the bed and the settee.

DH's chest and a peek into my dressing room

And the fireplace end of the room with the antique chaise and a matching chair. I've always wanted a fireplace in the bedroom and it was one of the selling points when we bought this house.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All the bedrooms pictured here are fascinating, and each in its own unique way. I apologize if my using the word "boring" sounded patronizing. The rooms I was looking at were "decorated" by someone and had no individuality, which is not true of any of your rooms. Holly-Kay, your traditional bedroom could never be boring because it is so beautiful. The bedspread and shams are to die for and the bed is truly handsome. The whole room is perfect. tibbrix, your "barn" bedroom is beautiful in its simplicity. The wall color is the first thing I noticed and I think it's gorgeous, and I'm not even a great fan of blue. Putting in the two windows was an excellent idea; I love rooms that have light from more than one side. Cliff and Joann, no one could call your bedroom boring; whimsical is what comes to mind. It's amazing how many pieces of furniture and accessories you've crafted yourself. I'm in awe.

ksw12, your room could easily be featured in a magazine. I wish I had the talent to put together a room so perfectly. There is not a single thing I would change in your room. socalgal, your wall treatment is incredible. You've actually created a "headboard" by leaving the area around the bed empty. The red color completely works in your bedroom, probably because everything else is white.

My bedroom needs a lot more work......

• Related Discussions

Does anyone else have a family bath?

Q

Comments (7)
    Title of this thread caught my eye, and I too misunderstood what it meant. It's an individual thing and one that has to fit your home, lifestyle, wants and needs so if it's important to you go for it. But I have to ask, if you think it will become one of your favorite spaces, why not reconfigure so the tub fits in your master bath? You mentioned you have shower/tub combos upstairs so wouldn't that be more than adequate for guests? I can only speak for myself and my family, but as guests in other people's homes, even close relatives, we're more comfortable using bathrooms closest to the bedroom we're staying in. It's more about getting in and out rather than lingering like I'm at an inn on vacation. Looking at your plan, I'd think most guests would probably use the baths upstairs too because they'd be more private than choosing the bathroom surrounded by your social areas and off the deck. I love my tub time, but I wouldn't feel comfortable hogging that first floor bathroom. I think a powder room or small bath downstairs and a larger MB makes more sense. Do nephews really like to take luxurious soaks or need a big tub? If they want to frolic in water wouldn't using the hot tub on the deck be more fun, scenic and make more sense? Also agree and know from experience that those club foot and large tubs get cold so fast. I love long soaks with a book so a seperate shower and a large tub in the MB was important when we bought our house, but I often go to the bathroom with a smaller tub so it stays warm longer. When I remodel the MB tub will be deep narrow and heated. Just some thoughts.
    ...See More

Does anyone have a family bath?

Q

Comments (8)
    I think you can pull it off in an older home. The homes are quirky and people understand that things aren't always on the floor or in the location they might expect them to be. And if there is no opton for a power room for guests, then the big family bath works (although I see you still have a separate master bath). But it becomes more difficult in newer construction if resale is an issue. Newer construction is typically two-story with the kids BR upstairs, so their bath(s) need(s) to be upstairs. Then there will be a powder room downstairs. I'm with flgargoyle -- I don't understand the huge master bath thing. But then I don't take baths, so the big tub is wasted on me and DH. Our current home is a 1960s MCM plan with a "compartment" bath, sort of like a jack-and-jill. There are two BR on either side of the house, with short halls leading to them. Off of each short hall, toward the center of the house, is a 1/2 bath with linen closet. Those half baths in turn open into a single room that contains the tub/shower and the laundry. It's incredibly functional, works perfectly for DH and me (we each have "our" bathrooms), and is absolutely appalling to anyone who sees the place and expects a master bath and a normal bath layout.
    ...See More

Does anyone have floor to ceiling wardrobe closet/cabinet?

Q

Comments (1)
    Which episode was this? Sounds really nice but I'd find a cabinet maker. I was trying to look yesterday on HGTV for that episode but couldn't find it. I'd like to see it.
    ...See More

Anyone have an easier/ better idea for master suite layout?

Q

Comments (5)
    an open closet in the bathroom? no. absolutely not. make that a separate area. wall it off from the bathroom and have the entry from the bedroom area. that shower you have there,,,does that say 6'? it's hard to read the diagram. we redid our complete bathroom/bedroom. I put the master across from the bathroom. (also an addition). Houzz did a story on it here: (I have diagrams) [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/reader-bathroom-a-plant-filled-master-bath-no-tub-needed-stsetivw-vs~85330392[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/reader-bathroom-a-plant-filled-master-bath-no-tub-needed-stsetivw-vs~85330392) BTW, moving that sewer line is the absolute worst on a slab. You better confirm you have enough room for the proper slope for that sewer line. I had to get mine checked out first by my plumber before we even started this fiasco. we had to dig almost 30'. (had to hire someone w/a commercial concrete saw. no way we could have done that ourselves) I can't even tell you how horrible this process is.... the guy who cut this actually does it commercially for a living. took him almost 4 hours. (he didn't even charge us that much, but I would have paid him double if he asked!) We removed all of the chunks ourselves. hope you have strong young men/teenage boys to help! cutting the slab from that wall, all the way down to the opposite walltoilet is just to the right of where he is,,,,shower drain is below, where the L ends.
    ...See More
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Martha, we posted at the same time and I've only now seen your bedroom. It is totally awesome and beautiful! When traditional is the real thing and has so much character and charm, and a fireplace to boot, there is nothing boring about it! There is nothing fussy or "off" about this room. I have the feeling that you've spent much time and thought on this room.

• ediblekitchen
    7 years ago

Ingrid, I think it's great that you started this thread. It's true that when you google for design ideas often you get the same cookie cutter approach, with no personal touches. Or you find stunning photos of rooms with beautiful architectural details that would look good even if there wasn't a stick of furniture in the room.

I'm working on the design of the bedroom in my new house. It's a small room with no architectural features, so I've been looking for photos for inspiration. Here's one that I like. It's a little bit too staged, but I really like the two footstools at the end of the bed and the way they did the nightstands and lamps.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked ediblekitchen
  • Kippy
    7 years ago

Great topic! Thank you Ingrid. I need to decide what to do on the wall over my bed. I am totally tired of what I had but don't know what else to use. ( when I was cleaning out an old shed I found the top of a maybe Victorian era head board. I did some restoration work on it so it looks nice but obviously old).

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Kippy
  • User
    7 years ago

Martha, my husband has always wanted a fireplace in our bedroom and would adore yours, it is lovely!

I like all the bedrooms presented here. They are by definition more personal than any other room in the house, and I appreciate these glimpses into other's sanctum sanctorum.

Thank you you your very kind words, Ingrid, but the compliment isn't mine to accept. We had an interior designer arrange this room; when we moved here eleven years ago he measured and took photos of every stick of furniture in our previous house (some of which he had chosen for my mother). He had the house painted before we moved, put our furniture in completely different rooms, and when we were moved in he shopped through our own artwork and accessories for each room. We went shopping to fill in the gaps afterwards. Since he arranged the room I have changed very little---replaced the sofa with a newer one, replaced the carpet with wood floors and rugs. And that's it. So a good design that to me was fresh and pretty over a decade ago still appeals to the point at which I can't imagine changing it and see no reason to do so! Maybe in another ten years :-)

This scrubbed pine secretary, from our previous family room, ended up in our bedroom next to a bank of windows. It would never have occurred to me to use it in the bedroom and I certainly would not have put a paper parasol (a prop from a play I was in years ago) or my mother's garden watering can, covered with a mosaic of broken China plates, up on top of it.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • caroline94535
    7 years ago

My bedroom is tiny and plain. My fingers are crossed that the sunroom expansion will include a "real" bedroom suite with big closets and a 3/4 bath.

For now, I'm loving the new old-fashioned style bedspread I found. It goes to the floor on both sides and the end; there's plenty of length to tuck under, over, and behind the pillows; it's 100% cotton, machine washable, and a bit thicker than a terry dishtowel. It's also reversible; the other side has the bone color as a background with the patterns in sage.

I'm not crazy about the pattern; it's just too big and the odd "frames" are a bit too 1970s, but still...it's 99.9% of what I was looking for.

The paint in this room does not photograph well. It's actually the same color as the spread's sage background. I've still not gotten the purple container of winter woolies put away - I have to keep dipping into them with our crazy weather.

I can't show the other corners of the room, yet. The carpenter has still not finished and hung the simple door on the small closet. I may put a 5x7 rug on the near side of the bed just to add some color.

The two holes above the small window are from when I planned to put a large traverse rod there. I have lined, thermal drapes in a bone color, but I hated the look of the oak rod. I truly adore lace curtains. I couldn't wait to get that rod down and put something lacy up. While this isn't my first choice, I had these in the "curtains" box and used them for now. I have other fires to stomp out before I give this little window too much energy. The corner of the neighbor's house is about 75' away; it just looks so close because of my little point-and-shoot camera. There's a row of huge spruce trees just to the right of this window. I get to hear the songs of many of birds.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked caroline94535
  • User
    7 years ago

Love the pine secretary, kswl2.

Ingrid, we all become bored with a room (or two) at some point. Seems it just hits you one day when you walk in the room! I think you have good base pieces, the room just needs some tweaking for you to love it again.

Since we don't see the room from all for corners, I'd have to start out asking why the bed is under/in front of a window? I would rather see the set of brackets/plants with a large picture between over the dresser. The dresser needs something of higher on it, like the floor vase or lamp. Always accessorize in various sizes in a grouping. Layer. Add texture. Is this the bedspread you've decided to keep? I haven't looked at that thread in a few days.

Here is our master bedroom:

I am a very visual person, and some might say I have a lot of clutter... and chairs. I am a chairoholic, especially children's chairs. But everything has a meaning, or else it would not be in the house. I like to mix new and old, here only the bench and walnut bed are new. Chest was used in foyer, last house. I like to buy pieces that can be used in different rooms/different houses, but once in place I usually don't move around. The pie crust table was my maternal grandmothers.

Settee was in DD1's room/last house, and I stained it to make it work here. Armoire was in LR, last house, and holds TV/DVR, extra bed linens and sweaters. I started collecting antique/vintage architectural etchings and lithographs 25 years ago, so they are seen everywhere.

My favorite child's chair and etchings my parents bought in Europe 30+ years ago.

Main level guest room.

This bed and armoire was DD1s/last house. New bedding (mix and match, custom silk bedskirt). Dresses were from 1yo photographs (mine, DD2s and my sister's/hers was made by my paternal grandmother). Antique beside tables.

This chest has been in several places, until it landed here. Gate was used between garage doors/last house, over planter with Black-eyed Susan's.

One of the three guest rooms in our lower level.

Original Author
    7 years ago

kswl12, I give you full marks for finding a wonderful decorator. They're not easy to come by and he's done a wonderful job. Love the corner secretary and nice curtains. Caroline, you made the most of your small bedroom by keeping everything simple and making the bed the star of the room. Really gorgeous bedspread!

• MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

I think mine is almost eclectic. This pic is after staging to sell our home so not as much stuff! Before, I had the nightstand on the left in another room and in it's place, a desk with a metal base and gray wood top with a little wood chair. We also took down a couple of paintings from the wall. We had a really large black & white charcoal above the hutch.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Allison, your bedrooms are simply superb, and I especially love the master. With your beautiful furniture and wonderful rugs, not the mention the architecture of your house, you have so much to work with. My bed is on the only wall it could be. French doors on the left side of the bed if you're looking at it straight on. If I placed it on the wall where the hanging brackets are I'd have to walk around a king-size bed every time I needed to get in the walk-in closet. Moving the dresser might be an option, but I really don't think there's enough space there. I'll have to see what I can do about the dresser accessories. I did have a giant picture over the dresser, but it's just a print of a lion and lioness and I tired of it. This is my old quilt, have reordered the first one that's on my bedroom thread. After that I'll decide on drapes, pillows, possible area rug etc. My furniture, what there is of it in this room and elsewhere, is old and shabby, but my bigger committment is to give to animal and environmental causes, so there won't be any great improvements. I'm just going to enjoy pictures of everyone else's great rooms instead! I'm so glad I was able to see all these and I hope there will be more to enjoy.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Magdalena, that is a somewhat unusual and really spectacular bedroom. I like the contrast of the wall color with the bedding and carpet. A very well-thought out and fresh take on a master bedroom. Very nice size of room too.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    7 years ago

All of these bedrooms are so beautiful and unique. And, except for mine, the beds are so neatly made! I need a new, pretty bedspread - maybe then I would be inspired to do a better job making the bed every day.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

If one Googles bedrooms today, there is article after article on "how to make your bedroom look like a luxury hotel". Huh? I remember 30 years ago when hotels were adding antiques and trying to make them more home-like. No more - they're all sleek, neutral and utterly devoid of personality, i.e. they look like a hotel room!

The only hotel room I want my bedroom to look like is Room #14 at the Charlotte Inn in Edgartown (I'd take several other rooms, too!)!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Anglophilia
  • sloedjinn
    7 years ago

Whenever I look at your rooms, I'm always drawn to your collection of pottery and porcelain. Have you ever considered basing a room around that classic cobalt blue and white color scheme? It's so classic, yet it can be so bold and very fresh and light. It's a color scheme that would also look great with the gold headboard and even the Audubon bird prints over the dresser.

My own bedroom is very much 'in process' right now and not fit to be shown, but I think it really will be unusual and eclectic, as well as colorful and modern,when its done. I like things that aren't neutral and safe. No such thing as too much color for me.

Below is a mood board I made for my bedroom.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sloedjinn
  • porkandham
    7 years ago

My bedroom is basically traditional, but there are multiple styles of furniture because most of it was inherited or handed down. The headboard was my parents. The hexagonal leather topped nightstand was my grandmother's, and the square nightstand came from DH's parents' house. The dresser was in my room when I was growing up. The highboy was DH's parents. There's an large antique French bakers rack that was always in my parents' bedroom and an antique vanity that was in my room when I was growing up that aren't shown. Maybe it qualifies as eclectic because I've mixed old, traditional furniture with current and abstract art?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked porkandham
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sloedjinn, I hope it will be done soon, would like to see it because it sounds very interesting. Strangely, I'm not terribly drawn to blue and white porcelain, although that is what you commonly see, and most of what you see is fake. I think it's become almost a cliche. I'm drawn more toward polychrome porcelain, and most people outside of collectors don't really know what to make of it.

porkandham, your room is drop dead gorgeous and you've done a wonderful job of combining traditional furniture with modern art, which is not always easy to do. It's class all the way, and there is an inspired use of color. I almost wish I hadn't begun this thread because I'm experiencing pangs of unseemly jealousy. At the same time, it's been really interesting to see all these personal, very individualistic styles.

• User
    7 years ago

I went to get the picture I "knew I had" and I guess I didn't take any more after I got started. But this is the beginning. Genuine old sheer Pricillas. There's a vintage white wire plant stand in front of the window now and 3 more floral prints under the 3 that are there. I also added a big floral throw rug. That's my expensive vintage chenille spread that I love with all my heart.

Allison, are those your baby dresses? I think about doing that from time to time but still have not done it.

• User
    7 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid. I will go back to see your pictures again with your description of the room.

Yes, those are dresses worn by (l to r) me, my youngest daughter and my sister. I originally framed them to use in DD2's bedroom/last house, but now have them in the guest room. I've had several things put in shadowbox frames. This handbag belonged to my mother and the paper doll bride I found in an antique store (smashed in a regular picture frame). She is happier now! They are also in this guest room.

I also framed skeleton keys from my grandfather's/father's furniture store. One has the store name tag attached.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I love the idea of framing the handbag! I have my mother's which is similar. It is now sitting on a chest in the guest room, but would be safer in a frame. New project!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Anglophilia
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The framed handbag looks wonderful, what a great idea! It really showcases its beauty. I love the sentiment of framing the keys from the furniture store. These things are so meaningful and can easily be passed on to another generation in this form.

• Holly- Kay
    7 years ago

I love all the bedrooms! Thank you all for sharing.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Holly- Kay
  • IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I've shared my bedroom pics a number of times but will do so again! This is not at all what I'd consider unusual or eclectic (my previous home's master under the eaves was though), but it's soothing and inviting to me, and the first bedroom I've had in years that makes me feel like an adult.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked IdaClaire
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

I'm seeing lots of beautiful master bedrooms but nothing I'd consider "unusual" or "eclectic".

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked monicakm_gw
  • raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

Beautiful bedrooms - thanks for sharing them!

Our master bedroom is *somewhat* eclectic (or maybe more *bohemian*?) and definitely a work in progress - we hastily painted the walls and floor (original 1850s floorboards) soon after purchasing the house about 18 months ago, but the ceiling needs addressing - hideous woodchip wallpaper - and all the trim needs attention. The delightful louvre door built-in wardrobes will most likely go! The four-piece bedroom suite - French/Belgian 1900s - we bought for a previous (much larger) house, the rug is a reproduction Voysey style, the side table original Liberty and the bedding all from Zara Home (except the lemon cushions I made to match the curtains. Almost everything except the bedding came from ebay ;) The fireplace is not original to the house - a previous owner had removed the original - but was picked up at an auction house. Out of sight in one corner is a small walk-in space that will hopefully become an ensuite. This room was the original master from when the house was built in 1853. It was then a small, albeit three-storey - cottage. The real master bedroom is in the 1920s extension - but we use that as our Summer sitting room.........

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Turquoise, your bedroom is calm, serene and beautiful. It gives off the feeling of having been designed with great care and thought to reflect who you are and what pleases you.

raphaella, your bedroom is delightfully the opposite, and almost completely reflects a certain period in time which happens to be your passion. Forgive me for saying that it is one of my least favorite periods, but at the same time I really like this bedroom. It avoids the excesses of that style and is a very warm and welcoming space, with great choices in furniture.

monica, I have the feeling that people who favor the truly unusual and eclectic are probably not terribly interested in design forums. They tend to do their own thing and need no help from anyone else.

Original Author
    7 years ago

nicole, your layout is certainly very unusual. Now I'm dying to see the view from your bathroom. Your entire house has to be very interesting and dramatic. It would be great if we could see it.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

raphaella is that what you would call art nouveau furniture? I just love it! I've never seen anything like it!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked robo (z6a)
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Nicole, surely you're not going to describe such an unusual bathroom and not share pictures, right?? I'm sure everyone would love to see it :) Sounds super cool!

Ingrid, sorry, but I guess I was expecting to see unusual and eclectic since that's what your subject asked about ;)

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Mine is long,skinny, and not that big for a master but it's plenty for us. The only thing new is the rug, floor, chair and wall lights. I'm a CL and thrift shopper. As you see I'm too lazy to iron sheets lol.

Edited: After reading Cpartist's post I too want my bedroom completely uncluttered partly due to allergies and part ease of cleaning.

As per the rest of the house I made use of unwanted 1980's furniture or decor. I love putting a new spin on individual items that are mostly thought to be un-cool. $40 for a screen made into a sort of headboard? Yep, I'll find a way to make it happen within a style that will work today.

Hmmm, pictures will not go through.

EDITED: pictures now work.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked just_terrilynn
  • raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

Hi Robo :) Thank you! Yes, it is Art Nouveau......we have a bit of a thing about both that and English Arts & Crafts. Even here in the UK though it's getting harder to find original pieces that are affordable and much of what passes for either style is often very far removed from it......

Ingrid, I get where you're coming from - Art Nouveau is definitely a bit *marmite* (love it or hate it!) and an acquired taste. I started out collecting Art Deco, which I now really don't like at all, lol!

Raphaella

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog
  • arkansas girl
    7 years ago

You all have gorgeous homes! My home is more...ahhh huuuum....lived in. HAHA! My bedroom is full of dog stuff mostly. :P

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked arkansas girl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm afraid as a group we've fallen short of eclectic and unusual, although cliff_and_joan and raphaella's rooms to me seem the closest to unusual, although not really eclectic. However, it really doesn't matter, because I for one thoroughly enjoyed looking at these wonderful rooms.

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

Ingrid- What pieces do you love? I like that headboard, but I think I'd paint the walls a bolder color and play those off a new bedspread/quilt. The art is beautiful and having French doors is a nice feature!

My bedroom is currently in the middle of a KonMari sort...and then new paint. Probably stay with a very neutral, beige color because we have a lot going on with the fabrics. Here's my 'fairytale' inspiration. The Enchanted Forest in Once Upon a Time with the greens and browns as a backdrop....contrasted with the rich colors Prince Charming is wearing. Our comforter is berry purple (kind of a blackberry) and we have a lot of leaf patterns and a few burgandy accents. Sounds unusual, but very happy with it! : )

Here's the first two minutes of the series...with the forest scene.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSJKKllaf8M

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lavender Lass
  • lkplatow
    7 years ago

I would consider my master bedroom pretty eclectic but since we are in the middle of a master bath remodel, it is currently piled high with tile samples, light fixures, and boxes of junk that belongs in the bathroom. So alas...I'd be mortified to post a pic in its current state. By nature I am a bit of a clutterbug but piles of cardboard boxes full of bathroom supplies are pushing even my limits!!! I feel like I'm living in the middle of a hoarders episode!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lkplatow
  • Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

I can post some pictures later tonight....if you promise not to laugh at all the places the paint came off when I pulled my husband's posters off the walls. This used to be his office, but it makes a better master bedroom. And it has a bath!

• User
    7 years ago

Arkansas_girl.....my bedroom is full of dogs! :-)

• ediblekitchen
    7 years ago

Ok, here are the photos that I dug up of our current bedroom from several years ago when we first got the furniture. I've since switched out the bed linens to a pottery barn duvet cover that has a print with deep reds and deep red velvet quilt and shams. I don't seem to have a photo of it now, maybe I'll have to take one. What you don't see in these photos is the opposite wall with the two windows that still have the old ugly paint trim... actually the whole room needs to be painted... but that's a project for another day.

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Nicole, nice kitchen but what about those bathroom pictures? :)

• jakabedy
    7 years ago

Raphaella - I love all of it. The art nouveau bedroom set is amazing.

Our master is a bit of a disaster at the moment, with DH packing for a trip. So as consolation I snapped a few photos of the guest room. The guest room isn't really eclectic. It's heavily Spanish Colonial inspired with some Arts & Crafts (and my sweet little MCM patio light holding a place on the small nightstand until I can find something else).

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jakabedy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lavender, I'm in the process of redoing my bedroom to some extent, although I don't dare ask my husband to repaint. But I am getting new bedding in a few days and then curtains and pillows for the bed, and perhaps an area rug to put at the foot of the bed. I'll be needing lots of advice soon!

edible, I like your bedroom and bedding as they are in the picture; all the colors go so well together. Would love to see the new version too, though. I have a hard time putting together different colors and pattern, and from what I can see here I'm the only one with that problem. At least I know who to go to for advice.

jakabedy, your style is interesting in that it's very strong and geometric, but the bed also has a somewhat feminine vibe. It's one of the more unique bedrooms here, but I wish we could also see the master bedroom.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

Here is my FL one. It is still a work in progress. I need something for the back corner next to the couch (at least I think I do).

I do not know how to neatly make a bed. They always look rumpled unless the housekeeper makes it at which point it looks like a perfect hotel bed.

And here is my PA guest room, which I really like. My grandma bought the dollhouse for me when I was little. I really need a different lamp for this room:

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

Not enough light to take good pictures. Everything looks washed out, so I'll try tomorrow, with some sunlight.

Ingrid- I'm not sure what you're considering for the new bedding, but I tried to find a few eclectic bedrooms with a similar headboard. So, not an exact match, but see if there's anything you like.

My mom would LOVE this third picture! Have a nice evening : )

• amykath
    7 years ago

Such lovely rooms! This is my guest room. I think it is slightly eclectic. I am typically more traditional with straight lines. This is the closest thing to eclectic I have.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked amykath
  • ediblekitchen
    7 years ago

Ingrid, bedding is the easiest to change out and the most fun. So many options. What style and colors are you leaning toward? And do you have a favorite brand or store?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

This was mine in the condo I just sold. Pictures are staged in that the chair normally had DH's clothes hanging on it and we normally had more stuff on the tables by the bed. LOL. The wall is bamboo and inside the cutouts are rimmed with dark cherry wood and behind the cutout is plain glass.

I personally am not one for lots of stuff in a bedroom. I like one room in the house to be uncluttered. Also with my allergies, I need a room that is easy to keep dusted.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cpartist
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So many interesting and beautiful rooms added overnight! Scrolling up and down again, I can see I'm the only one who doesn't have a clue about how to make a bed the modern way. I'm sure that even with the new bedding that should be here any day that still won't change. I'll start a new thread then and answer some of the questions about my bedroom then. Lavender, thank you for the beautiful inspiration pictures. I especially like the second one. What's apparent from every picture is that all of you have the ability to create a complete, integrated picture, including beautiful paint colors, drapes, art and of course the all-important bedding. I'm really impressed.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

For my new house I'm planning a headboard wall that I think will be a bit different.

My bed and nightstands will be under the windows and the windows will be stained glass. Most likely a craftsman style geometric pattern or something similar. The darker area on the wall will be wallpapered. The lighter green walls will be painted and come out 9" which will create a niche for the bed and nightstands and a ledge up top on either side of the windows. I'm hoping to display a few items I have on the ledge. Some old pottery and a few framed pictures.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked cpartist
  • namarie
    7 years ago

You guys have seen and helped me with the master in our new build. We still need new lamps and to put up our linen headboard. We have big walls of windows on the two walls perpendicular to the bed, and a dresser and two doors on the wall facing the bed. So unfortunately there's not a lot of room for art but it's worth it to me to have all that light!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked namarie
  • Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

Ingrid- I promised you a few pictures...so here's a close up of the bedding. Lighting was not good for longer shot, but here you can see the purple!

Sun is shining in the window, but here's a quick peek at the dresser with the drapes in the background.

And my little mini-office in the bedroom. Prettier than my big office : )