SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heathrli

Hanging upper cabinets without studs?

Heather L
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi!

I'm installing two 15" cabs on either side of my window.. while my studs are roughly 16" on center. Due to the design I do have a couple studs closer than that, but due to the cabinet side panels/lips it won't lay directly over 2 studs.

- The black lines are where my studs are.

- The highlighted ones are the ones I plan to use.

- On the right side of the kitchen, I don't have an upper corner cabinet so it's just dead space, and the 15" and 33" cabs will be connected using filler pieces.

So I think I am OK with the left 15" cab cause I will have 2 studs to secure to (1 on the side, and 1 in the back). Does this seem OK?

The 15" cab on the right side of the window is where I'm not sure how to secure. I hate the idea of securing to 1 stud and then relying on anchors for the other side of the cab, but without tearing down the wall and installing support boards, are anchors my only option? I've heard of toggle bolts being useful? Anybody have success using anchors/toggle bolts and not have their cabinets come crashing down?

My walls are 1" thick. The outer 0.5" is plaster and the back 0.5" is drywall.. it's a 1952 home so not sure why the walls were built that way.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert