SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nansea

Any downside to hanging upper cabinets lower than 18'?

nansea
14 years ago

I think I want to hang my upper cab:inets lower than the standard height. The KD I'm working with was hesitant at first, but he thinks it's ok if that's what I want. It seems a waste to have so much cab:inet up high, especially since I am only 5'2".

I'm thinking/planning that we'll have a 2 inch light rail, 42" upper cabs, and trim/molding up to the ceiling (8ft). Originally the KD had planned for 36 inch cabs and leaving the space above open. I read that Circuspeanut has lower cabs and loves them; I would like to hear more about how that is working out.

I'm not as concerned about space for countertop appliances as I am with the look and balance. I would love to hear what experience or opinions everyone has of lower cabs. My house and kitchen are fairly small with little natural light in the kitchen, I don't know if that makes a difference when considering cab height. My kitchen won't be a showpiece like some of the beauties I've seen on this web site, but I hope to end up with a user friendly, relaxing space.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Comments (12)